Flies and dirt were found on food and surfaces at Ye Olde Crowne pub in Lincoln because proprietor Christopher Regan was not adequately trained in food hygiene safety, a court heard.
Lincoln magistrates were told an inspector from the City of Lincoln Council visited the pub on Clasketgate after a complaint had been received about undercooked meat and contaminated salad.
James Ellis, prosecuting, said under new EU regulations Mr Regan was the designated food business operator responsible for food safety management systems and hazard analysis and putting in place procedures to ensure food safety.
“Following the complaint an inspector visited the premises and found the walls, shelves, surfaces and equipment used for food preparation were dirty,” he said.
“Raw meat was stored next to shell fish, there was food past its sell by date, and there were no procedures in place to manage food safety procedures. The premises were given a nought star ranking because standards of hygiene were very poor.
“Under the regulations he had 14 days to comply with improvement requirements, but he was given two months and no improvements were found in later visits by inspectors.”
The court was told that during follow up visits to ensure he had complied with improvement notices, inspectors found the walls and flooring were dirty and flies were found on toast, on the kitchen floor and dead flies on the cellar floor.
Mr Ellis said Mr Regan had completed an online training programme in food safety management but they felt it was unsatisfactory because he had spent four hours and 48 minutes completing an eight or nine-hour course.
Christopher Regan (23) of Witham Wharf, Lincoln, admitted five charges relating to food safety and cleanliness regulations between March 30, 2012 and October 1, 2012.
Jon Payne, representing, said there were no allegations of any illness caused to customers: “Some of the issues were down to members of staff and Regan’s lack of understanding of food hygiene requirements.
“He has since taken measures to make sure the premises are kept clean and he hopes officers will visit again and be entirely satisfied.”
Magistrates said they were concerned that allegations only came to light by chance after complaints were made.
They fined him a total of £2,741 which includes fine, costs and victim surcharge.
Louise Harding, Environmental Health Officer at the City of Lincoln Council, said: “The safety of customers is of the utmost importance to us as a council.
“We have tried to work with Mr Regan to help him to comply with the law but unfortunately there was persistent non compliance with food safety requirements.
“Where this happens the council will not hesitate to take legal proceedings to ensure the safety of the public.”