Local fundraisers have teamed up with Evolution Gym on Whisby Road to host a ‘Lincoln’s Strongest’ competition, in aid of a children’s bone cancer charity.
The event, which will be held on Saturday, February 8, is in aid of Ethan Maull’s ‘Up Yours to Cancer’ Foundation and money raised will help families who travel long distances to receive treatment.
Ethan Maull was diagnosed with a rare form of Osteosarcoma, a children’s bone cancer, when he was just eight-years-old.
While Ethan suffers from the side effects of chemotherapy, which began in 2013, his friends and family are continuously raising funds for patients and families who have to travel to Nottingham for treatment.
Lincoln’s Strongest Deadlift Charity Fundraiser will offer participants and spectators three main events to enjoy and take part in:
- Lincoln’s Strongest Deadlift – all competitors will be weighed and put into one of three categories, heavyweight, middleweight and lightweight. There will also be a category for ladies. The heavyweight winner will receive £100.00 cash prize, £50 for the middleweight winner and £25 for the lightweight winner, as well as supplement prizes donated by Absorb Nutrition. There will be medals for first, second and third in each category. There is a £10.00 registration fee for this event.
- Tyre Flipping Challenge – The winner of this event will be the person who performs the most consecutive tractor tyre flips of the day. £5.00 entry fee. Prize tbc.
- Laurie Carr Deadlift Challenge – Laurie Carr, of Performance Foods and Evolution Gym, holds a record of doing 60 deadlifts of 140 kilos divided into 3 sets of 20 reps with 3-4 minutes rest between sets. People can pay £5.00 to enter this challenge and see how close they get to the record held by Laurie. Prize tbc.
Lincoln fundraiser David Johnson, known for his annual cancer awareness fire truck pull, became involved with the charity after loosing a close friend to bowel cancer.
“Since my friend passed, I gave my word I’d continue to raise cancer awareness”, said Mr Johnson.
“As the events continue they get bigger and better. I work for Ethan’s dad so it makes sense for me to raise money in my friends memory and help raise funds for the Ethan Maull Foundation.”
The event at Evolution Gym is to be held from 1 pm with competitions starting at 2pm. The event is open to all and the first 50 people to register on the day will receive a printed competitor’s t-shirt for free.
A BBQ will be lit midday and refreshments will be available throughout, as well as supplements from Absorb Nutrition. There will be a £2 charge for spectators.
Prizes have been donated by local businesses, including:
- 2 x Meal for 2 at Ole Ole Tapas Restaurant (£60 each)
- Meal for 2 & drinks at The Hilton (£100)
- £70 to spend at Simpsons Spa
- Convertible Audi for a weekend
- Food hamper
- 1 year membership for Thorpe Park Lodges Fishing Lake (£100)
- Free Mot/Test £54 Foster & Sims
- 12 Week BodyTransformation Package £250
- 1 hour with a PCA approved golf Instructor
- 1 hour Personal Training session
- £50 love to shop voucher
- Shellac & Nail Art voucher
- Ruby Red Kids voucher
Raffle tickets are now on sale from Performance Foods on Lincoln High Street or Evolution Gym. They cost £10 per strip or £3.50 for one ticket.