People and organisations in Lincoln are preparing for a friendly culture day as they are encouraged to say “hello” to at least 10 people.
World Hello Day events are taking place across the city on Friday, November 10 with tea parties, language and culture swaps, games and food from around the world.
Anyone wishing to host a World Hello Day event can apply for a small grant from the City of Lincoln Council to help towards expenses like tea and coffee.
Anyone interested in hosting an event should contact Heath Grover at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mayor of Lincoln will take part in a number of activities including joining clients of one of his chosen charities, Lincoln Dial-a-Ride.
Bishop King Primary School will host a tea party from 1.30pm, where they will serve traditional English tea and other international treats. A number of stalls promoting different cultures will also be on offer.
From 2.30pm, the school will celebrate by singing songs from around the world.
Lincolnshire Language and Culture Swap will be celebrating from 6.30pm at the Working Men’s Club, 241 – 247 Monks Road, where there will be a language swap on basic phrases such as ‘hello’, ‘my name is’ and ‘nice to meet you’.
An evening of games and food from around the world will follow from 7.30pm to 11pm. The event will include displays from Lincoln University’s international students, belly dancing performances and food from Monks Road’s Food City.
People from all nationalities and cultures are welcome to get involved.
The council is also aware of the following organisations hosting events across the city that residents may wish to attend:
- Voluntary Centre Services (VCS) ‘say hello to befriending’ – VCS, 16-26 Tentercroft Street, November 21, 10am to 1pm
- LEAP’s coffee morning – Monson Street, November 21, 10.30am to 12pm
- LincolnShare/Revival Café’s walk to the Pyewipe Inn – Beaumont Fee, November 21, 10.30am to 1pm
- Tea and biscuits at Lincolnshire Credit Union – Committee Room 4, City Hall, November 21, 12pm to 3pm
- LincolnShare/Revival Café’s table top sale and choir – Beaumont Fee, November 21, 10.30am to 4.30pm
- Lincoln City Football Club Sport and Education Trust – Lincoln City football ground, November 22, 1.30pm to 3pm
- Interfaith Walk – November 22, meeting at Lincoln Cathedral for 1.45pm