Parents in Lincolnshire have been sent offers for their child’s secondary school place September 2015, with 93% receiving their first preference.
Some 6,948 children, of 7,507 will be attending their preferred school and 5.7% (426) pupils will attend their second most preferable school.
Third preference offers were received by 0.6% (47) children and a total of 86 children are receiving offers for a local school that isn’t one of their preferences.
The number of children not receiving a place at any of their preferred schools has dropped consecutively over the last three years.
This year, the number not receiving an offer from any of their options has dropped by 40 from 126.
Lincolnshire County Council said it expects the number of students on the first preference list is likely to increase due to the appeals process.
Parents have until the end of March to lodge an appeal if they are unhappy with the offered school.
If they return the appeal form by the deadline it will be heard before the end of term – if it is received late it will still be heard but this may be in the last week of term or in September.
Over 96% of parents applied using the online system and they can log on to see the offered school from Monday, March 2.
For admissions into schools in September 2015 there are 54 secondary schools in Lincolnshire, including 52 which are their own admissions authority and determine their own admissions policy. The other two have the local authority admissions policy.
Councillor Mrs Patricia Bradwell, Executive Councillor for Children’s Services, said: “I am delighted to see so many children getting their first school of preference and this should be even better by September.
“It is always our intention to support as many parents as possible with their choice of school. There are many stories about how stressful the admissions process can be but every year the overwhelming majority of parents have no problems in gaining admission to the school of their choice.”