A bumper crowd is expected in Lincoln this weekend for the grand festival of cycling, with the British Cycling National Road Race, and several road closures will be in place.
High-profile stars including Mark Cavendish, Dame Sarah Storey and Laura Trott will be racing through the city centre in what has been described as the biggest sporting event Lincoln has ever hosted.
Friday from 5.30pm to 10pm
- Drury Lane, Exchequergate, Michaelgate, Steep Hill and Wordsworth Street
- Castle Hill will be closed from 4pm
- Access in this area may be limited from midday due to event build up in Castle Square
- Parking, waiting and loading restrictions in place in advance of the event
- Castle Hill/Square, Exchequergate – all day and night
- Union Road from 11.30am to 10.30pm – access to The Lawn and Westgate Strugglers car park available until 4pm, exit available until 6pm
- Carline Road, Spring Hill, Michaelgate, Steep Hill, Wordsworth Street, Drury Lane from 11.30am to 10.30pm
- Burton Road from Rasen Lane to Westgate from 4pm
- Westgate from 4pm – exit from St Pauls car park will be maintained until 6pm
- Bailgate from Newport Arch from 4pm
- Westgate 1 and 2 car parks will both be shut all day
- Parking, waiting and loading restrictions in place in advance of the event on these and neighbouring roads
Sunday from 9am until 6pm
- All Westgate, St Pauls Lane, Lawn, Castle Hill and Motherby Lane car parks closed throughout the day
- The majority of the inner route will be fixed closures including: Castle Hill/Square, Exchequergate, Bailgate, West Parade from The Avenue into city centre, Motherby Lane, Hungate, Michaelgate, Drury Lane, Wordsworth Street, Longdales Road (limited egress/access for residents), Yarborough Crescent (limited egress only for residents), Newport (limited egress)
- Rolling road closures from around 10am which include the majority of roads on the outer circuit – outside of the city
- Burton Road (access/egress from Queen Elizabeth Road for residents only)
- A57 from Fen Lane into Lincoln, Long Leys Road, Yarborough Road
- The Avenue
John Latham, Director for Development and Environmental Services at City of Lincoln Council, said: “It’s shaping up to be a fantastic weekend in Lincoln and we hope those taking part in the cycling championships and the spectators have a great time.
“All road closures and car park closures and access will be fully marked to make it easier for everyone heading into the city.
“While the closures are necessary for the event to go ahead safely, it is still business as usual for traders and we hope that many of the visitors will take a look at what these great places have on offer.”