Police are treating a fire in which a person died as ‘unexplained’, as investigations continue.
As previously reported, the fire at the De Wint Avenue online magic store and flat broke out just before 4.30pm on Monday, December 21.
Officers have said work is ongoing on Tuesday, December 22 to establish the identity of that person killed in the blaze, but a spokesperson confirmed they are believed to be a male.
At the time of writing, the fire is being treated as ‘unexplained’ and Lincolnshire Police are working closely with Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue to try and establish the exact circumstances.
Residents in the area described how they heard a loud explosion sound at the time the fire broke out.
Maureen Conley, 73, who has lived on De Wint Avenue for 24 years, said:
“My husband heard a huge explosion and came rushing back and said that there was massive fire next door.
“I’ve been in a house fire before myself but nothing close to this – I’ve never seen a fire take hold so quickly. It was going right out into the middle out of the road, smoke was pluming out everywhere.
“Our neighbours had been there about two or three years I’d say. We used to hello or good morning if we bumped into them on the street but on the whole they kept themselves to themselves just like we do.
“It’s just so tragic, especially just before Christmas.”
It took 50 firefighters and eight appliances to put out the fire at the former Co-op shop.
In the hours after the news broke, a friend of the Taylor family, who are thought to have lived in the property, set up a fundraising page in support.
People have since donated over £2,675 to help them; a figure that is ever-climbing.
Road closures were put in place in the area following the incident and De Wint Avenue and Shannon Avenue remain closed this morning.
Anyone who witnessed anything in relation to the fire and have not already spoken to officers should call 101 quoting incident 281 of December 21.