A pensioner faces the rest of his days in prison after he was on Tuesday, March 15 given a 15 year jail sentence for a series of sex attacks on two young children.
Arthur Baddiley, 85, carried out the attacks over 20 years ago but the offences only came to light when one of his victims revealed what had happened to him during counselling sessions.
Baddiley sat in the dock with his heads in his hands as Judge John Pini QC told him: “Your behaviour was wicked and depraved beyond belief.
“Your evidence was repugnant. You are essentially consumed with self regard and oblivious of the impact of your conduct on others.
“There has been a total absence of remorse by you.
“You are now 85 and it may very well be that you will end your life behind bars. If that should happen it is the inevitable consequence of the fact that you have evaded justice for most of your adult life.”
Baddiley, 84, of Conway Drive, North Hykeham, denied eight charges of indecent assault on a girl under the age of 13.
He also denied four charges of gross indecency on a child under 13. He was convicted of all 12 charges following a trial in front of a jury.
Baddiley had earlier admitted two charges of gross indecency on the same boy.
The offences took place on dates between 1986 and 1994 at a number of addresses including North Hykeham and Waddington.
Jonathan Straw, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court that the lives of the two victims were completely ruined by the abuse they suffered from Baddiley.
During the trial Baddiley claimed the two children were lying and denied committing the offences he was accused of.
Robert Underwood, defending, said: “Otherwise he has no convictions and he is a man who has demonstrably worked hard throughout his life.
“On one view the sentence he receives can effectively be viewed as a life sentence by virtue of his great age and the fact that he is clearly not going to emerge from custody for a number of years.”