Travellers belatedly leave Hartsholme Park

Travellers pitched up in Hartsholme Country Park car park in Lincoln have finally moved on, two days later than ordered.

As reported previously, four caravans arrived in the car park overnight on Tuesday, August 2.

The car park was closed to members of the public the following morning so that no more could join them.

Council officers reopened the car park after the travellers told them that they would be leaving by the end of Wednesday.

However, three out of the four caravans remained pitched on the site.

The travellers accessed the park despite barriers being erected at the entrance in March to stop anti-social behaviour.

Readers have claimed that the travellers left rubbish behind on the park and one witness said that he spotted the caravans heading up Riseholme Road.

Dave Charysz, Open Spaces Officer at City of Lincoln Council, said: “We can confirm that the unauthorized encampment have left Hartsholme Country Park.

“Although they cleared most of the rubbish before they left, there was still a small amount remaining, which we have since disposed of.”