30 inmates removed from Lincoln Prison after day-long disturbance

Some 30 inmates were forcibly removed from Lincoln prison after a day-long rampage in one of the cell blocks, the Ministry of Justice has confirmed.

Her Majesty’s Prison Service has said prisoners collectively took “inappropriate” and disruptive action throughout Thursday, September 15, causing extensive damage to cells.

An MOJ spokesperson said rumours of fires and hostages were untrue and no one was injured during the disturbance.

Police investigations are ongoing into any offences and the extent of damages is being assessed.

Transportation vans were let into the prison grounds at around 3.30pm. Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

Transportation vans were let into the prison grounds at around 3.30pm. Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

Reports that inmates had been locked in cells for days with no access to running water were quashed when questioned by The Lincolnite.

Police vans and dog units were stationed around the prison site throughout the day. This was followed in the afternoon by a fleet of transportation vehicles who were seen leaving the prison with shouts and banging noises coming from inside.

Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite.

Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite.

Visitors and family members were turned away from the category B prison, while claims of a riot went unanswered by the Ministry of Justice.

A spokesperson confirmed that 30 inmates were moved to a number of other prisons, which have not been disclosed.

The spokesperson added: “We are absolutely clear that prisoners who behave in this way will be punished and could spend significantly longer behind bars.

“Those suspected of being actively involved have been removed from the prison and are subject to an ongoing police investigation.”