A group of six friends from Lincoln have embarked on a four-day road trip, covering 2,400 miles across the UK in a 20-year-old ex-funeral car.
The group set off from Lincoln at 5am this morning and hope to return within 96 hours on Sunday, September 11 after their Top Gear-style challenge.
Nigel Bottom, Nigel Laing, Ian Sheldon, Paul Thompson, Darren Gourley and Adam Cox, all from Lincoln, have so far raised £6,000 for six chosen charities.
They are aiming to reach the highest and lowest, most easterly, westerly, northerly and southerly points of the UK in an old Rover limousine.
- Thursday, September 8 – Lincoln to Lowestoft (via Holme Fen, Peterborough) to Lands-End: approx. 650 miles
- Friday, September 9 – Lands-End to St. David’s to Penrith: approx. 650 miles
- Saturday, September 10 – Penrith to John O’Groats (via Ben Nevis): approx. 550 miles
- Sunday, September 11 – John O’Groats to Lincoln: approx. 550 miles
The charities are:
- Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance
- St Barnabas Lincolnshire Hospice
- Cancer Research UK
- The National Autistic Society
- RFU Injured Players Foundation
- Royal National Lifeboat Institution
The challenge was the brainchild of team member Nigel Bottom.
He said: “Its an old car and with six of us in it at one time it should be a real challenge to get us around the country and back again in 96 hours.
“We hope we and the car will make it!”
The group of friends currently have a Just Giving page set up for further donations they hope to receive whilst on their trip.