Lincoln doctor appeals decision to strike his name off medical register

This story is over

A Lincoln psychiatrist who had his name erased from the medical register after refusing to learn lessons from his treatment of a mentally ill patient has vowed to appeal the ruling.

Dr Sharaf Salem, who runs Greetwell House Nursing Home in Lincoln, had been suspended for 12 months on three separate occasions, but a medical panel concluded that another suspension would be “futile”.

The allegations centred around the failure to carry out a mental health assessment of a vulnerable patient who arrived at Bartholomew House, Goole, in 2008.

Dr Salem was also accused of not taking clinical responsibility for the patient, failing to supervise a trainee GP in her assessment of the patient, and not adhering to policy regarding the admission of psychiatric patients.

A panel in 2011 considered that “there were a series of interconnected failings” by Dr Salem and that he had put the patient at risk through his actions.

Dr Salem was handed a 12-month suspension by the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service, which came into effect in January 2013 after he had unsuccessfully appealed to the High Court.

Two case reviews in January 2014 and 2015 both resulted in Dr Salem’s registration being suspended for an additional 12 months, after the panels concluded that he might repeat his misconduct.

Now he has had his name erased from the medical register after a tribunal in Manchester determined that a further period of suspension would be futile and “erode public confidence in the profession.”

Chloe Fordham, counsel for the General Medical Council at the hearing, said that Dr Salem had “demonstrated deep seated attitudinal problems” and had not addressed any of the problems in the eight years since they were first raised.

Dr Salem, who has now not practised medicine for five years, argued that he applied the provisions of the Mental Health Act and that he would have been committing a criminal offence if he had admitted the patient at Bartholomew House.

The doctor insisted that he had told the nurse to take the patient to A&E, as she could be seen there, and said in previous hearings that he would “do this act again today if this happens”.

He also claimed that previous tribunals had not allowed him to argue his case or defend himself.

Dr Salem told the tribunal that he was retired but wanted to clear his name, and kept up-to-date with the medical profession through attending local hospital teaching afternoons, running his nursing home, and setting up a private hospital.

However, he told The Lincolnite that he was unable to carry out the training advised by previous hearings as he had suffered from colon cancer, had had part of his lung removed, had survived more than one heart attack and was a diabetic.

An appeal against the decision can be lodged within 28 days.

Dr Salem confirmed to The Lincolnite that he is “absolutely” appealing the decision of the tribunal.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.