Organisers of the annual Lincoln Christmas Market have sent their condolences to those affected by a terrorist attack in Berlin which killed 12 people and injured at least 48.
The team at the City of Lincoln Council have said robust safety measures are reviewed continuously ahead of and during the city’s popular event, which earlier this month welcomed over 260,000 people to the Cathedral Quarter.
Simon Walters, Strategic Director Communities and Environment at City of Lincoln Castle, said: “Visitor safety is always an essential part of planning Lincoln Christmas Market and this will continue to be the case in 2017.
“We are in regular contact with the police about safety measures and we have robust security plans in place that are reviewed constantly ahead of and during the event.
“Everyone who is involved in organising Lincoln Christmas Market sends their deepest condolences to those affected by the recent tragic events in Berlin.”
Fears have been heightened for ongoing festive events after a lorry was driven into the Christmas market in Breitscheidplatz on Monday evening.
The registered driver of the lorry is understood to have been found dead in the vehicle with gunshot wounds.
Police arrested and are questioning a suspect believed to be a Pakistani migrant, however officers now say it’s not clear if he was the driver.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said it was a terrorist attack.