Just started sixth form? Have you made the right choice? Here are Lincoln College’s top tips on making your mind up.
There is a lot more choice available for people who have finished their GCSEs these days and it’s not too late for people to change their minds.
If you have already started school again and think you’ve got it wrong, you can still transfer to Lincoln College to study professional and technical courses in trades and the creative and digital industries, or study A-levels in a place that’s more like a university than a school.
Go through the following check-list and see where you end up. If you’re a parent, take your child through the questions and consider your options together.
Are you happy with your teachers, your course and the level of support you’re getting? If the answer’s yes you’re done – you got it right first time. If the answer’s no read on.
- Do you feel like you’re respected as an adult and empowered to manage your own study time?
- If you have additional educational, emotional or psychological needs, are you getting enough support from teachers and staff?
- If you are being bullied, is it being tackled properly?
- Do you feel like you’re just doing a course to get a certificate, or do you feel like you’re working towards the career you want?
- Is there a plan in place for you to go on a work placement so you can understand what life at work is like and what your future career might be like?
- Does your school work with businesses that can offer you a job at the end of your studies?
- Are you having enough fun? Are there good enough sports and leisure facilities and can you take advantage of popping into town between lessons.
If you answered no to some of these questions have a think about whether you’ve made the right choice.
You can still enrol at Lincoln College. It’s not better than sixth form, but it is very different and it might suit you better.
Our students tell us it is more inclusive than school and you will be accepted for who you are.
You will be on first name terms with your lecturers, who are industry experts and will treat you like an adult.
We have links to more than 1,000 businesses that help design our courses, offer industry placements and employ our students.
We also have a sports centre with a state-of-the-art gym, spa and restaurants in the heart of the City.