May 7, 2019 9.45 am This story is over 30 months old

Teen admits Lincoln shop knife-point robbery

A troubled young man

A 16-year-old boy held up a Lincolnshire Co-Op store at knife-point, Lincoln Crown Court was told.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, walked into the store on Burton Road in Lincoln at 7.30am on November 9, 2018 and demanded cash from the till operator.

Mark Achurch, prosecuting, said that the boy, who had concealed his identity with a bandana covering his face and sun glasses, pulled out a knife and threatened staff moments after walking into the premises.

He told the till operator: “It’s for real. I want the contents of the till.”

Mr Achurch said the till operator was terrified and alerted the manager.

“The defendant made further threats telling the manager to open the till.”

The boy jumped over the counter and went to one of the tills, which was then opened for him. He filled a bag with cash and walked out but was arrested shortly afterwards by police.

The court was told that both the till operator and the duty manager were badly affected by what happened.

The boy, who is originally from Gloucestershire but at the time had been placed in supported accommodation in the north of Lincoln, admitted charges of robbery and possession of an offensive weapon arising out of the incident.

He also admitted burglary of an office room at his supported accommodation 10 days earlier when he smashed the door, ransacked the room before stealing a laptop, a knife and £30 cash.

Giles Bedloe, in mitigation, said that reports on the boy revealed he is immature and has a complete lack of empathy.

“He was focused on one thing and had no regard for the consequences to others.”

Mr Bedloe said the boy has spent the last six months in custody and youth offending workers have put together a package of intervention, which meant that if released the boy would be monitored under intense supervision.

“Six months at HMP Wetherby has had a fundamental effect on his level of maturity and his awareness of how appalling his behaviour has been.”

The boy was given a three year youth rehabilitation order with a band one supervision package and given a three month night-time curfew.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.