June 27, 2019 4.05 pm This story is over 28 months old

Man jailed for ‘disgraceful’ drug attack on disabled mum

Disabled mother battered by druggie son

A man carried out a savage attack on his disabled mother, leaving her bloodied and in fear for her life.

Lewis Creasey repeatedly struck his mum Mandy Pileggi with a chair and when that broke continued the attack using one of the chair legs. He then went on to try to strangle her.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court: “This was a drug-induced, sustained assault with a weapon on a vulnerable victim who is his mother. She was left covered in blood and requiring hospital treatment.”

Creasey sat in the kitchen of their home in Bourne “ranting absolute nonsense” before he launched an attack on his 54-year-old mother as she cleaned up broken glass in the bathroom.

Mr Howes said: “She became aware of a chair coming at her head. He had hold of the leg and was hitting her with the seat. She describes him as looking straight through her.”

Creasey continued the attack after the chair broke and struck his mother repeatedly to the head with a chair leg.

“The attack continued as she moved into the hall. He was pressing on her windpipe and she couldn’t breathe.

“She managed to remove his hands and he went into the bedroom. He then returned and pinned her to the wall and repeatedly hit her.

“She describes him as being like an animal. She was convinced that he was trying to kill her. She was petrified.”

Eventually she managed to escape and smashed the fire alarm to attract attention.

The court was told that Ms Pileggi is a wheelchair user who is registered disabled and suffers from a number of health problems including a heart condition and arthritis.

After the attack she was taken to Peterborough Hospital where she was treated for injuries including multiple wounds to her scalp and face. She also had bruising to her face.

In a victim personal statement read out in court she said she had been left traumatised by the incident and did not want to see her son again.

“Its just unbelievable that it’s happened. It all seemed surreal,” she said.

Creasey, 25, of Falcon Court, Falcon Way, Bourne, admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm as a result of the incident on the morning of 27 January this year.

He was jailed for 20 months and given an indefinite restraining order banning him from contacting his mother.

Judge Simon Hirst, passing sentence, told him: “This was a disgraceful attack on a vulnerable, defenceless lady. She is a wheelchair user. This was, on any view, a sustained attack on her. This is plainly so serious that only a sentence of immediate custody can be imposed upon you.”

Michael Cranmer-Brown, in mitigation, said that Creasey was appalled by his own behaviour.

“He had been addicted to drugs. For some reason he suddenly stopped taking these drugs without weaning himself off them.

“That sent him into a psychotic state that he didn’t come out of for three months. He has no recollection of this incident at all.”

Mr Cranmer-Brown said that while being held in custody on remand Creasey has been receiving mental health treatment and his condition has improved.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.