July 23, 2019 3.09 pm This story is over 52 months old

Jailed: Man bit Lincoln shopkeeper’s ear in drug rage

He had taken a cocktail of drugs

A man who attacked a shop worker leaving his victim with serious injuries was today (Tues) jailed for 12 months at Lincoln Crown Court.

Jak Smith went into the Monks Road Vineyard Store in Lincoln claiming a member of staff had tried to run over his dog.

Smith, who had taken a cocktail of drugs, pushed customer John Ranshaw in the chest and then turned on the shopkeeper Ian Parle.

Victoria Rose, prosecuting, said “Mr Parle thought the defendant was under the influence of something and tried to usher him out of the shop.

“The defendant gave his dog to another male. He then charged towards Mr Parle knocking him back.

“Smith punched Mr Parle to the face and then bit him on the left ear. The bite was hard and he heard a popping noise. He feared his ear would be bitten off.

“Mr Parle was on his hands and knees and pushed against Smith to free himself. Smith let go and Mr Parle went over on his ankle and felt pain.

“The defendant punched Mr Parle four or five times in the face. The incident then came to an end.”

Mr Parle was taken to hospital and was found to have a fractured left ankle. He subsequently underwent an operation to have plates and screws fitted to his ankle. He also had bite marks to his ear.

When Smith was interviewed he claimed he had been attacked by Mr Parle and had been knocked out.

Miss Rose said “He said the dog must have bitten the complainant’s ear.”

Jak Smith, 24, of Ermine Close, Lincoln, admitted charges of inflicting grievous bodily harm to Ian Parle and common assault to John Ranshaw arising from the incident on 1 June this year.

He also admitted being in breach of suspended prison sentences imposed in October 2018 for possession of an offensive weapon and in February this year for two charges of assaulting an emergency worker by beating.

Leanne Summers, in mitigation, said Smith has been diagnosed with autism and there was a suggestion that he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder due to his childhood experiences.

“He has had a difficult and somewhat chaotic life. He is keen to receive help but he wasn’t able to access that help.

“On the day of this offence he was using a cocktail of drugs. Since he has been in custody he has been tested for drugs and has been giving negative results.

“This incident was not pre-meditated. It was an incident committed under the influence of drugs.”