No criminal charges after police Kisimul probe

There will be no criminal charges after police completed an investigation into serious safeguarding concerns at Kisimul’s children’s home in Swinderby.

Ofsted initially suspended the registration of the children’s boarding home in November 2018.

All children boarding at the site were temporarily moved home or to alternative accommodation at the time.

The suspension was lifted in January 2019 meaning the school’s accommodation could admit children again.

Police launched an investigation dubbed Operation Hendon in November 2018. By January 2019 the number of arrests made had risen to eight.

However, the police enquiry into the safeguarding concerns has now been completed and no charges were made.

Police said there will be no criminal proceedings as a result of the investigation.

The Kisimul Group now have responsibility for any further internal investigations which will be overseen by the local authority and its partners.

The nature of the serious safeguarding concerns were never disclosed publicly.

Operation Hendon

Eight people all from Lincoln were previously arrested – four women (aged 52, 57, 34, and 53) and two men (aged 56 and 27), who were bailed to return to police at a later date.

Two further people were arrested, with a further interviewed under caution, but their ages were not given.

DCI Richard Myszczyszyn, Senior Investigating Officer, who led the investigation said: “My team carried out a meticulous investigation over six months since November 2018 but no criminal charges could be brought against any of those who were arrested and released pending that investigation.

“Throughout the enquiry we have been engaged with a multi-agency group to ensure those involved have been kept informed and any safeguarding issues addressed.”

Pupil safety is ‘absolute priority’

A Kisimul spokesperson said: “At the Kisimul Children’s Home, Swinderby, the safety of our pupils is our absolute priority. We are committed to delivering high quality education and care for all the children we work with.

“We are pleased that the police investigation that was announced on November 30, 2018 has now concluded and that no charges have been made.

“The safety and wellbeing of the children in our care is paramount. It was right these allegations were thoroughly investigated and we fully supported the police and Ofsted throughout this process.

“Alongside this, we are undertaking a detailed, independently-led, internal review to ensure all our procedures and protocols are as robust as possible. Our priority is ensuring we provide the highest quality care to our children and young people.

“Our focus continues to be on working closely with them, as well as local authorities, social workers, and Ofsted, to ensure they continue to receive the care and support they need.”

The school was previously rated as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted in 2016 and according to the government department’s website it still has this rating.