School trainee in court over taking indecent pictures of children

A 19-year-old man who took indecent pictures of children while on a training placement at a Lincoln village school appeared in court on Friday.

Lewis Croft, had previously admitted nine charges of making indecent photographs of children when he appeared at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court on August 21.

  • two counts of making a Category A indecent photo of a child
  • two counts of making a Category B indecent photo of a child
  • two counts of making a Category C indecent photo of a child
  • three counts of taking a Category C indecent photo of a child

The taking of these images appears to have happened on three separate occasions between May 2019 and July this year, police previously said.

Croft spoke only to confirm his name when he appeared at Lincoln Crown Court during the morning of Friday, September 20.

The hearing was told Croft had been seen by the probation service but his defence team required the preparation of a further psychiatric report.

Recorder Helen Malcolm QC remanded Croft back in to custody until his next court appearance on November 15.

Officers raided Croft’s home in Cliff Road, Welton, on July 23, 2019 after receiving information from an American law enforcement agency that illegal images were being downloaded.

Three devices were seized and examined, and photos taken inside the school were also found.

Lincolnshire Police said three charges related to images taken at a school where Lewis had a placement as part of his college course.

Croft was identified as working on a temporary placement within a reception class at the school on a part-time basis since November 2018.

At the time Detective Inspector Dan Boulter said officers were supporting the school, which cannot be identified for legal reasons.

Police had written letters to parents and guardians of children attending the school in August regarding the investigation.

A co-ordinated effort was made by police to ensure all parents and guardians of the identified child from the images were updated in person by their investigation teams.

In an attached letter, the school spoke of its “state of shock and disbelief at what has happened” and said “we can come together as a community to support each other and focus on the children returning to school in September as they move into their new classes.”