November 26, 2019 11.04 am This story is over 24 months old

‘Toxic blue-green algae’ warning to Scunthorpe dog walkers

The toxins produced can be fatal for dogs if left untreated

North Lincolnshire Council has warned dog walkers to stay away from a potentially toxic lake in Scunthorpe.

The Blue Lagoon lake in a nature reserve off Normanby Road is covered in blue-green algae and officials are working to see if it is toxic.

Experts from the Environment Agency will assess the water over the next ten days to see if it is the toxic strain of the bacteria.

Blue-green algae can produce toxins harmful to both humans and animals, which dogs could consume if they go for a swim.

If left untreated, the toxins produced by blue-green algae can be ultimately fatal for dogs.

The British Veterinary Association has seen a rise in toxic blue-green algae cases in Lincolnshire, Derbyshire, and Leicestershire.

British Veterinary Association junior vice president Daniella Dos Santos said: “While not all blue-green algae are poisonous, it is impossible to tell the difference visually, so it is better to be safe than sorry.

“There is currently no known antidote for the toxins, so prompt veterinary treatment is essential to tackle their effects and ensure a good chance of recovery.

“If you suspect your dog has been exposed to blue-green algae, rush it to your local vet without delay.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.