December 30, 2019 10.59 am This story is over 47 months old

Rugby Report: Lincoln try to raise funds for pitch rebuild

There were cup wins for Bourne and Stamford College Old Boys

Lincoln Rugby Club is on a fundraising mission to repair the long-term damage caused to their pitches by adverse weather conditions.

The club’s pitches at Longdales Park in Nettleham have suffered in recent months with heavy rainfall damaging all four pitches.

It has led to some home matches for the club’s senior and junior sides either being postponed or reversed to become away games, which is having a knock-on effect.

A GoFundMe page has been set up with around £450 so far being raised of the £50,000 target, which is the estimated cost of rebuilding the pitches – click here to make a donation.

The adverse weather conditions caused Lincoln’s home matches to be called off during the weekend of November 16-17. Photo: Ady Brodrick

Club chairman Neil Haire said: “Obviously the wet weather has affected our fixture list. We have lost nearly half of the fixtures so far. We are not the worst affected in the three counties (Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire & Derbyshire) and our thoughts are with other clubs too.

“We need to raise funds to land drain a large area of the site to ensure in 2020 we don’t have to cancel anywhere near as a many games.

“The area covers senior, junior and mini pitch areas. We are applying for grants and have a GoFundMe page too and any help would be appreciated.”

Lincolnshire sides in cup action

Sam Thornburn and Matt Holden crossed for two tries apiece as Bourne claimed a 37-12 home win over Kesteven in the quarter-final of the Lincolnshire Cup.

Jack Berry grabbed one try and kicked a drop goal, with Sam Evison adding three penalties, in what was one of just a few senior matches played in Lincolnshire at the weekend.

Adam Draper and Harvey Fuller scored Kesteven’s tries and Matt Grinney kicked one conversion.

Stamford College Old Boys RFC after their 31-3 win at Skegness. Photo: Ray Bates

Stamford College Old Boys RFC progressed through to the next round of the Lincolnshire Vase after a 31-3 victory at Skegness.

Alan Flanders, Carl Brierley-Lewis, Callum Fraser, Jim Chapman and Si Gamble each scored a try for the visitors. Stamford’s man-of-the-match Haydn Johns added three conversions.

Stamford’s Alex Walker running past Skegness’ defence. Photo: Ray Bates

Skegness’ points came via a penalty from Lewis Haigh and Marcus Upjohn was named as the host’s man-of-the-match.

Skegness duo Mason East (4) and Danny Gill (8) trying to stop Stamford’s man-of-the-match Haydn Johns in his tracks. Photo: Ray Bates

Skegness were forced to play 60 minutes of the match with 14 men after one of their players was sent off for an off the ball incident.

Clubs across the county will be looking forward to their first matches of 2020 during the weekend of January 4 and 5.