A teenage boy who carried out two terrifying sex attacks on women within hours of each other was given a 12-year sentence at Lincoln Crown Court on Friday.
The 17 year-old , who cannot be identified because of a court order, followed his first victim through the Sincil Bank area of Lincoln and then attacked her when she reached St Botolph’s Court off the High Street.
The victim managed to get into a sheltered housing scheme and the boy then cycled off.
However, five hours later he attacked and raped a 27-year-old woman who was walking on the South Common.
The boy had previously admitted a charge of assault with intent to commit a sexual offence in relation to the 22-year-old he attacked on the morning of July 21 this year.
He also pleaded guilty to charges of rape, assault by penetration and sexual assault involving the 27-year-old on the same day.
The boy was given a 12 year sentence comprising of seven years custody and a five year extended licence period.
He was placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life and given an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order which bans him for life from entering the South Common and the South Park area.
Judge Steven Coupland, passing sentence, described the 17-year-old as “dangerous”.
He told the boy: “On that day you carried out two terrifying sexual attacks on vulnerable lone females that were determined and sustained and the second attack involved serious violence.
“I accept the assessment that you are a very high risk of re-offending. There is no real explanation as to why you did what you did.”
Richard Thatcher, prosecuting, said that the boy encountered the first victim as she walked along Sincil Bank towards Queen Street.
He asked her the time and when she replied he followed her, at one point grabbing hold of her arm.
The 22-year-old, who was on the phone to her grandmother throughout the incident, challenged him but his response was to say “No I want you”.
The boy then followed her onto the High Street but when she reached St Botolph’s Court she pressed an access button and was let in by a resident. He then pulled his hood up and rode off on his bicycle.
The second attack happened at 2pm as the victim was walking on the South Common. As in the first attack the boy asked the woman the time and then followed her.
She realised he was exposing himself and tried to kick him in the groin. He grabbed her by the shoulders and headbutted her with such force that she ended up on the ground.
The boy got on top of her and after putting his hand over her mouth he raped her before going on to commit two further sex attacks on her.
Mr Thatcher said: “She thought she would die. She begged him repeatedly to stop.”
During the attack the boy grabbed her mobile phone and threw it away. She managed to retrieve it and ran off. She contacted police and his DNA was found on the phone.
The following day the boy was detained by police.
Mr Thatcher said: “He was arrested after a short chase in the South Common area. He was on his bike and attempted to escape over fields.”
Simon Eckersley, in mitigation, said the defendant has a slight learning disability and had been educated at a special needs school.
“The best mitigation he has are his guilty pleas. That is a significant step for him to make.”
Detective Inspector Dave McKean said: “The rape was a horrific attack carried out in broad daylight.
“It was traumatic for the victim, her partner and their families.
“This male had already assaulted another woman earlier that day. His actions were vile and opportunistic, yet in interviews he showed no remorse.
“I would like to pay tribute to the victims and their families for the strength they have shown during this investigation, and the numerous police teams that worked together to bring the offender to justice.”