Health and Safety Executive and police investigate man’s death at Lincoln building site

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is working with police to establish the circumstances of a man’s death in a tragic construction incident in Lincoln.

As previously reported, a 23-year-old man from the Nottinghamshire area, who was working for Chesterfield-based subcontractors Melfort Construction on the Lindum Rudgard Lane building site off West Parade, is understood to have become trapped under an overturned tipper on Thursday.

Police, fire and ambulances crews arrived on scene just before 11am on January 9, where an overturned forward tipping dumper could be seen in the centre of the muddy building site. Police later confirmed the death of the man and said they had informed the victim’s next of kin.

After the incident, staff were told to leave the area and black tarpaulin covers were lifted over the permitter fencing while investigations began.

Police are investigating the incident alongside HSE, which is a UK government agency responsible for regulation and enforcement of workplace, health, safety and welfare.

A spokesman for HSE said: “HSE are aware of the incident and we are assisting the police with their enquiries.”

Lindum, who are the lead contractors on the site where work had been ongoing to build a four-storey apartment block, previously offered condolences to families affected by the tragic incident.

Lindum Group company secretary Herman Kok said: “We are extremely sad that an employee of one of our sub-contractors has lost his life following an incident on one of our construction sites earlier today.

“Our thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues at this awful time.

“We will be working closely with the Health and Safety Executive and emergency teams as they carry out their investigations into the tragic event and we will be supporting Lindum employees and other site personnel who have been affected.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.