May 13, 2020 2.12 pm This story is over 49 months old

Woman poured boiling water over husband and left him scarred for life

She has now been jailed

A woman who threw boiling water over her husband, leaving him scarred for life, was jailed for two years on Wednesday.

Susan Coulson was also given an indefinite restraining order which bans her from contacting her husband Andrew and from visiting his home address.

Judge Catarina Sjolin Knight, passing sentence at Lincoln Crown Court in a hearing conducted by Skype, told Coulson: “You have a history of using violence against partners most recently in November 2016 when you threw a glass at Mr Coulson and you caused a cut.

“There is clearly a pattern of behaviour of you doing violent things to Mr Coulson.”

Esther Harrison, prosecuting, said that in the latest incident Coulson, who has a learning disability, went into a rage after arguing with her husband about his use of a mobile phone.

She struck him with a broom and then threw an ornament at him.

Then she boiled a kettle, walked up to him and poured the scalding water over him, causing him a large amount of pain. He was left with blistering to his skin and scarring to his back.

Mr Coulson cleaned himself up and then left their home. He thought his injuries would heal but, when they didn’t, he went to Skegness Hospital where he was treated for burns after telling staff he had tripped while carrying a pan of water.

He was released but when he returned to the couple’s home in Clarke Way, Skegness his wife refused to let him in telling him to go away.

Miss Harrison told the court that Mr Coulson was frightened that things would escalate and contacted police.

He subsequently revealed he had been subjected to an earlier attack by his wife when she threw a jug of boiling water over him in October of last year during another argument.

She was later arrested and admitted to police what she had done saying she suffered from rage and needed help.

The court was told that Susan Coulson had a previous conviction for wounding a former husband as well as her conviction for assaulting Andrew Coulson in 2016.

Susan Coulson, 62, currently of no fixed address, admitted two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Andrew Coulson as a result of the incidents on December 31, 2019 and in October 2019.

Terry Boston, in mitigation, said that Coulson had little memory of either incident but accepted what happened.

He said: “She didn’t realise the level of injuries she was going to cause by doing this.”

He said she had learning disabilities and added: “The psychiatric report says she is prone to impulsive acts of aggression.”

Mr Boston said that Coulson has been held in custody since her arrest in January and urged that she should be released and given a suspended sentence.