Why some Lincoln parents are not sending their kids back to school

Several local parents said they opted against sending their children back to school on Monday.

Over 200 schools re-opened in Lincolnshire on June 1 in line with government guidance, but the environment is likely to be different to what pupils were used to just a few months ago.

Parents and teachers have expressed concerns over the safety of youngsters going back to class and the impact on teachers and families.

Derek Ward, Director of public health at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “While we’re not sure whether children are less likely to catch coronavirus, it is likely that’s the case.

“We do know that children are likely to get a much milder form of the disease if they do catch it, and are less likely to pass it on.”

He said safety measures were in place and pointed to other European countries who had already done it and not seen a “significant” uptick in cases.

The Lincolnite asked readers whether or not they would be sending their child(ren) back to school, prompting a mix of reactions.

Dani Gourlay believes they should just leave schools open for those children whose parent(s) work and rely on it for childcare, but that if there is a parent at home, then the child should be too.

She said: “We have been staying in the house with only essential shopping trips (one adult, no kids). My daughter has a very weakened immune system and her operation was cancelled due to lockdown, so until those numbers come right down and she’s had her op none of my kids are going anywhere.”

Angie Storey-Boardman said: “No chance am I sending my children back to school until it’s completely safe where this virus is concerned. Not a chance my children being subjected even further to it.”

Ayshea Edwards said: “No, not until the death and infection statistics improve. Politicians are not prepared to meet in parliament, some universities are not going back until 2021 – no way. September at the earliest – depending on a second peak because of failure of people to follow lockdown.”

Gill Squire was among those to question why if you can only “meet 6-8 people in the park or your garden, how can 15 children be safe in a classroom?”.

Not everyone was against the idea though, including Aleeshia Pritchard who said her Year 6 child will “because the school’s procedures in place are brilliant and I trust she’s old enough and knows the rules on distancing”.

However, she also added that there was “no way I’d let my Year 2 go back as it would be traumatic for her”.

Key worker Kirsty Marie Sinclair said: “My son will be going back. He’s been going to nursery anyway whilst I work as a key worker and the staff are brilliant at his nursery so I’m happy with him going back.”

Gemma Richardson said: “Yes, both of mine are going back. There is more risk of damaging their education than there is of catching this thing. They need routine and they need to be children and see other children for their own mental health.”

Kelly Jane Barton said: “Yes, I am, and I don’t care what others think. I haven’t taken him anywhere during lockdown.

“He’s in Year 6. If he was in the younger years I wouldn’t be sending him back. I have a two-year-old who had the chance to go back to pre-school, but he’s not going.”

Becky Watson said: “No, until they sit next to each other in the Commons and she can hug her grandma it’s not happening.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.