October 5, 2020 5.24 pm This story is over 37 months old

Cancer man spared jail after knife threats

He told two women they “should be cut up like dogs”

A man who threatened his ex with a hunting knife was spared an immediate jail sentence on Monday after a court heard he has cancer and may not have long to live.

Romas Vigura walked into his ex’s home in Heathfield Road, Grantham, in the early hours of the morning armed with a 25cm bladed weapon.

His former partner, who was chatting with a female friend in the kitchen of the property, was left terrified by what happened over the next few minutes.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court: “The defendant walked in unannounced and uninvited.

“He withdrew the knife from the sheath. It is described as being 40cm long with a blade of 25cm.”

Vigura threatened to kill both women and told them “you should be cut up like dogs”.

Mr Howes said: “His former partner hid beneath the table for protection. She was scared for her life.

“He struck the table with the knife repeatedly. The complainant told him to calm down and he repeated the dog cutting comment.”

Vigura then left the house striking the wall with the knife as he walked out.

“The complainant was left shaking, shocked and scared. Her friend described it as a very scary incident.”

The woman made a 999 call to police and Vigura was arrested at his home in Grantham. The knife was found under the driver’s seat of his car.

Mr Howes said that the couple were in a relationship for two and a half years before splitting up three years ago.

“Although they reside at separate addresses they kept in touch and she has helped him through his period of illness. He is suffering from the advanced effects of cancer.”

Vigura, 56, of Harrow Street, Grantham, admitted charges of possession of a bladed article and affray as a result of the incident in the early hours of April 27 this year.

Daniel Lowne, in mitigation, said the victim, who is a trained nurse, has since resumed contact with Vigura and is prepared to help to care for him.

“He accepts that what he did is serious. Clearly Mr Vigura’s health is deteriorating. Unfortunately he may not have that much longer to live.

“He wants to say to the court how very sorry he is for what he did and how deeply he regrets his actions that day.”

Vigura was given an eight month jail sentence suspended for 12 months with a three month electronically monitored night-time curfew.

Judge John Pini QC told him: “Normally for an offence like this you would go straight to prison. However you have a serious life threatening illness and I have seen a doctor’s letter confirming that.

“Whatever fear you caused your victim has gone away. She has written a letter saying that she forgives you.”