March 16, 2023 8.30 am This story is over 15 months old

Lincoln salon loses half of trade as Glory Hole walkway closes

Footpath was closed off after concrete bed began to fail

A salon owner has said the closure of Lincoln’s Glory Hole walkway for over a month has cost him half of his income.

Roger Baldam-Lucas, of Be Hair, claimed there had been very little information from the county council about the closure.

The footway closed on February 17 after investigations found that fractured wooden beams and areas of the concrete bed had started to fail.

However, Lincolnshire County Council has indicated more work is needed before the footpath can be opened due to a “fluid, changing situation”.

Mr Baldam-Lucas, who has run a salon from the site since 1984, said he had raised the issue of dangerous paving slabs for a while, it took ages for something to be started and now it feels like its been ages for the work to get started.

“We’re struggling. I’ve never known anything like it, the closest thing was when they closed the country down due to COVID,” said Mr Baldam-Lucas.

The removal of the slabs has revealed a massive chunk of Mr Baldam-Lucas’ and neighbours’ property. | Image: Daniel Jaines

“We’ve had nothing in writing about what is going on, what they’re going to do, how sympathetic they are towards the business and what they’re going to do to help.”

He said his business was suffering due to the lack of walk-through traffic and told The Lincolnite his income has taken a near 50% hit in the past month.

Mr Baldam-Lucas said he was planning to move temporarily to a premises closer to the High Street side.

He said something needs to be in place to get people moving through there again, even a temporary solution.

He’s also raised concerns over the safety of the fencing.

People have continued using the path by braving the damaged footpath. | Image: Daniel Jaines

“People have been sliding through due to the lack of security,” he said, worrying that someone may take a tumble and injure themselves while doing so.

At least four people were seen by a Lincolnite reporter taking the shortcut rather than going round.

Councillor Richard Davies, executive member for highways said: “Due to the nature of that investigation, we have found that this is a fluid, changing situation and once we can establish what next needs to happen, we will be able to move things forward.

“In the meantime, we have managed to keep access to the business open and will continue in our open conversation with the owner across matters as they continue.”

Existing signage does not say business open as usual until the Peacock’s delivery entrance. | Image: Daniel Jaines

He said the council would increase signage and “beef up” the barriers in a bid to stop people carrying out the “increasingly dangerous actions”.

“We once again stress that pushing past barriers such as these is incredibly dangerous and could result in serious injury or worse,” said Councillor Davies.

“It’s incredible that adults are behaving in this way when there is such an obvious danger present and one that should clearly be avoided.”


MyLocal Lincolnshire is the new home of The Lincolnite. Download the app now