Employer Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire
Contract Full Time
Job Type Permanent
This new role within the charity has been created specifically to develop and operate the new business at the Old King’s Head in Kirton. This exciting new venture is in its early stages and this role is an opportunity to lead on the development of all aspects of the hospitality and catering offer within the property. We are looking for a new member of staff with the drive, initiative and enthusiasm that will match our commitment to delivering a high quality catering, accommodation and retail offer within a destination venue. You will have exceptional communication skills, be a team player, and have experience of managing people. The successful candidate will have previous experience of operational management within a leisure/hospitality industry, preferably setting up a new business.
The Old King’s Head is a Grade II listed building situated in the village of Kirton, near Boston. In 2014 the building was identified as ‘at risk’ from dereliction and Boston Borough Council approached Heritage Lincolnshire to find a viable solution for its repair and reuse. The building was purchased by the Trust in 2016 using a loan from the Architectural Heritage Fund and has raised £2.4 million for its redevelopment. A grant of £1.9 million has been secured from the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
The new business will be based on a café offering a deli inspired menu, using local produce for high quality breakfasts, lunches, and afternoon tea. Monthly evening events will also be offered and a small retail area will offer customers a selection of food, gifts, kitchenware and greetings cards. 4* accommodation is available within the main building, with 4 B&B rooms on the first floor, and within the stable block, in the form of a 2 bedroom self-catering flat. The retail/craft units within units within the stable block will be complementary to the uses of the main building, as will the microbrewery in the outbuilding. This creates a destination that will be needed to attract customers to the area and an annual programme of events and activities will be used to further encourage regular use of the facilities.
ABOUT THE ROLE
To work with the Chief Executive Officer and Senior Management Team to develop the operational plan for the new business at the Old King’s Head in Kirton for a planned opening date of April 2020. To operate the business from opening according to the Business Plan and to deliver the forecast profit targets.
- Location: The Old King’s Head, Kirton
- Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
- Responsible for: Operational staff and volunteers at the Old King’s Head
Business Development Stage: Please note that during the business development stage, the Operational Manager will be supported by a Commercial Consultant in the areas highlighted**
- To review the existing business plan for OKH and prepare an action plan inclusive of key milestones to allow commencement of operations in April 2020.
- Identify key areas of risk to the progression of the operational plan and propose suitable mitigation strategies.*
- Contribute the refinement of the scheme designs between RIBA 4 and completion, working with the professional team and interior designer.**
- Lead on the development of the catering, deli and retail offer at the Old King’s Head to allow the production of the operation plan including but not limited to logistics, staff and resourcing, job descriptions and supplier agreements. Bring expertise and understanding of the local and regional market potential.**
- Lead on the production of lease agreements for all commercial areas and then manage the marketing of the opportunities.**
- Lead on the partnership opportunities and secure advantageous partnerships with regional heritage and cultural partners.**
- Heritage Lincolnshire is appointing a PR firm to promote both the project and the business from now until post-opening. The Operational Manager is to be the lead / key contact representing Heritage Lincolnshire with the PR firm.
- Act as lead for the activity programme of events and activities as per the approved Activity Plan.
- Record all relevant data that can be used for evaluation purposes on a regular basis and provide data to the project evaluator in a format and at intervals to be agreed.
- Collaborate with volunteer group, professional team, project partners and Heritage Lincolnshire staff and local community as required.
- To undertake tasks as required by the Chief Executive Officer as appropriate.
Business Delivery Stage
- To run the business efficiently with a focus on meeting the expectations and needs of customers and clients.
- To implement all operational policies and procedures.
- To manage recruitment, training and development of staff and volunteers.
- To promote a company culture that encourages top performance and high morale.
- To undertake all logistical planning and ordering for the business.
- To oversee budgeting, reporting, planning, and auditing.
- To deliver an annual programme of events and activities that will enhance the ‘destination value’ of the Old King’s Head.
- To ensure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- To work with the board of directors to track performance targets and to set development plans for the business, planning for short and long-term goals.
- To identify and address problems and opportunities for the company.
- To develop and maintain advantageous partnerships with other leisure, retail and cultural organisations in the area.
- To support staff and volunteers in delivering a high quality customer experience.