Location Boston, Spalding
Contract Flexible Hours
Job Type Temporary
Salary £1,416 for the summer programme
We are looking for dynamic and confident people to join our team this summer. You will be an organised and confident person, able to engage and support a group of up to 15 young people aged 15 to 17 through an intensive four-week programme including residential trips away from home, local skills workshops and social action activities.
This role is ideal for anyone interested in working with young people in the future. Catch22 will provide you with all the training and support you need to excel.
Location: Boston & Spalding
Dates: July to August 2018
Payment: Earn up to £1,416 for the Summer 2018 programme.
Accommodation, meals and transport: Provided for week one and two
Level of DBS Disclosure required: Enhanced
Main Duties and Accountabilities
- Support, encourage and motivate a team of fifteen young people to complete all phases of the NCS programme, including pre-programme engagement, two residentials, social action planning & delivery and graduation events.
- Assist the NCS Coordinator/ NCS Wave Leader to ensure all necessary and appropriate safeguarding, data handling, health & safety and other legal requirements are in place to protect NCS participants and staff
- Work with the NCS staff team to deal with challenging behaviour from young people
- Engage and build positive relationships with young people and their parent/carers to provide effective support on a one-to-one or group basis to achieve NCS outcome targets.
- Ensure programme content is relevant to the local community and builds on existing relationships with partner individuals and organisations in order to provide young people with a quality NCS experience, ensuring they learn community and citizenship values within their local environment.
- Ensure any matters for concern are reported immediately to the NCS Coordinator / Wave Leader and support the completion of any necessary reporting (including safeguarding reports and incident reports).
- Assist in ensuring in-kind funding opportunities are maximised and on or above target.
- Attend regular supervision sessions and compulsory training to enable all duties to be carried out effectively.
- You will be required to work 2 full-time residential weeks (four nights, five days), during which you will be expected to undertake night duty on a rota basis
- To make sure that you read, are familiar with, and follow all Catch22 policies and procedures and to read and accept key Catch22 policies
- To act as an ambassador for Catch22, upholding and promoting our corporate values.
- To undertake any other duties which can be reasonably expected of you within the level of your job.
- This post will involve overnight stays and it will also involve some evening and weekend working
Person specification Criteria Essential Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Experience and understanding of the issues affecting young people
- An understanding of Health and Safety, Safeguarding and data handling practices
- Experience of working directly with young people in a paid or voluntary position.
- A relevant qualification in Youth Work, Health and Social Care or equivalent
- Coaching qualifications
- Experience of planning and delivering activities in partnership with young people
Knowledge – Knowledge of the NCS Programme
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively at ll levels, orally and in writing
- Ability to work on your own initiative to an agreed action plan
- Ability to organise your own work routines effectively
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to use IT effectively
- An awareness and understanding of Equality & Diversity issues Ability to promote equality, diversity, rights and responsibilities of individuals Other Punctual and reliable to ensure professional service
- Creative and flexible and able to work well with others in a team
- Commitment to personal and professional development
Able to work within a flexible timetable and to commit to at least one 4 week programme
A full UK driving licence and access to a car for work purposes.