Lincolnshire

By Local Democracy Reporter

The number of caravans at a controversial holiday park have been nearly cut in half.

The proposed site in Hogsthorpe, near Skegness, would have had 108 static caravans.

However after an overwhelmingly negative reaction from residents, which saw hundreds of objections lodged, scaled-back plans have been submitted.

Andrew Clover Planning and Design have now suggested 65 caravans would be placed there instead – a 40% reduction.

The caravans would now be more spread out with additional outdoor space and four new ponds.

However, it may not be enough for residents who say the isolated location on Sea Lane is unsuitable for a large holiday park.

Their concerns included the poor roads, lack of public services and the loss of natural beauty.

The new plans reference the public outcry, saying: “Following discussions with the planning officer and taking into account some of the comments made during the planning application, the scheme has been redesigned and the number of caravans significantly reduced.

“The latest scheme provides 65 caravans and represents a 40% reduction in number.”

How the original plans for 104 static caravans looked | Photo: Andrew Clover Planning & Designs

Just under 700 objections were received to the original plan, coming from both East Lindsey residents and those who enjoy holidays there.

Only five were received in support.

Chapel-St-Leonards resident Helen Tedman, 54, previously said that it would be dangerous build a caravan park on the site.

“The roads are absolutely terrible. The lanes are very narrow and many don’t have footpaths.

“I don’t know how on earth articulated lorries would get down there – my friend who used to be a HGV driver said it would be quite dangerous,” she said.

“There are no facilities in Hogsthorpe – just a shop and two pubs. It is so lovely in the village with vast views of the rolling fields, and we don’t want that to change.”

East Lindsey District Council’s planning website has been updated with the new documents.

The plans will go before the council’s planning committee at a later date for decision.

Drummond Road (at the junction with Lumley Road) in Skegness repair work is now happening.

Investigations into the sinkhole that opened up on Drummond Road in Skegness have now been concluded.

With no more movement in the road substrate overnight (Monday) the on-site team has identified natural shifting of the ground under the road surface as the cause.

Works have now begun to excavate the affected area and repair the road. This will continue on Wednesday (August 17) when a new section of road surface will be laid.

The planned end for these works is Wednesday afternoon/evening and the traffic management currently on site will be removed as soon as possible once the repair is complete.

As soon as this happens, Drummond Road will once again be open to all traffic.

Until then, the route between Lumley Road and Sandbeck Avenue will remain closed with the diversion via Beresford Avenue still in place.

Cllr Richard Davies, executive member for highways said: “Our teams have been working very quickly to identify the cause and get a repair of the sinkhole underway.

“With the work now happening, we will be able to get this road back in order in a very short period of time for the people and businesses of Skegness.

“I would like to thank everyone involved for their patience in this matter.”

RNLI Skegness teams have thanked local businesses for their support during a particularly difficult weekend on the Lincolnshire coast, during which a 13-year-old boy sadly lost his life.

Emergency services received a report that the teen was in the water at around 6.15pm on Saturday 13 August and tragically the Hereford boy’s body was recovered later the same evening.

Coastguard workers expressed their devastation about the boy’s death on a day which saw Lincolnshire Police at one point receive 10 calls within two hours reporting missing people on the coast.

RNLI Skegness said: “We want to say a special thank you to Sarah at Heavenly Ices opposite the Lifeboat Station.

“On Saturday night, they provided complimentary hot drinks and snacks (doughnuts) for our crew. We took these snacks to our ALB (all-weather lifeboat) so they had refreshments during the operation. This small gesture means a lot to our crew and it really did give us a boost.

“We are so grateful to Heavenly Ices, Speedys Ice Cream and Paradice who regularly support our crew with free refreshments during service launches throughout the year.

“Also a huge thank you to Blakemore Retail Official for supplying our crew with fresh bottled water. Their owners and staff are amazing and are truly part of our RNLI family.”

It was a busy weekend for emergency services across Greater Lincolnshire, including the tragedy in Skegness and a man in a serious condition after an incident at Ashby Ville Nature Reserve in Scunthorpe.

+ More stories