An “isolated” man downloaded thousands of indecent images of children, Lincoln Crown Court was told on Friday.

Nigel Deacon was caught after police received information and raided his home at Cranwell in July 2019.

Edna Leonard, prosecuting, said images had been downloaded onto laptops and two USB sticks which were later examined by officers.

The investigation revealed that Deacon had been downloading illegal images of children aged between nine and 15 years old.

Over 32,000 indecent images of children were found on the devices the vast majority of which were in the least serious category.

Seven images, including three videos, were in the most serious category.

Miss Leonard said: “The defendant was arrested and interviewed and made admissions.”

Deacon, 59, of North Road, Cranwell, admitted three charges of making indecent images of children.

He also admitted possession of 198 prohibited images of children and possession of 124 extreme pornographic images.

Leanne Summers, in mitigation, said Deacon had no previous convictions and has sought help following his arrest.

She told the court: “He isn’t able to explain his offending. He describes it as totally irrational thinking at a time when he says he was running away from reality.

“He has for many years lived an isolated life. He has been in what he calls a very dark place.”

Miss Summers said that Deacon’s business was on the point of collapse as he lost customers when details of his offences became known.

Deacon was given an eight-month jail sentence suspended for two years and ordered to complete 50 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

He was also placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years and given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order.

Roman Bank, one of Skegness’ busiest roads, will temporarily pause roadworks and reopen to the public for four months this summer.

The project began in September 2020 and was scheduled to take eight months, with the road being closed throughout to repair and replace worn out carriageways and footpaths.

Lincolnshire County Council has now confirmed that construction will be halted for four months in May, allowing for locals to move freely around Skegness as lockdown eases further.

Traffic management is expected to be removed by Wednesday, May 26, meaning residents will be free to use the area over the summer.

The project will then resume on Monday, September 20, before completing road and footway improvements from Muirfield Drive up to the junction with North Shore Road by spring 2022.

Before the reopening, work will take place to rebuild the Roman Bank section north of Muirfield Drive to Fenland Laundry, excavating 500 tonnes of old road in the process.

The project has seen one of Skegness’ busiest roads closed for some time.

As well as this, a road closure will be in place between Asda and Brancaster Drive for seven days, starting on Monday, May 17.

The diversion route for this will be via the A52/C541/A158 at the Gunby dual carriageway, and vice versa.

The road’s rebuild hasn’t been without its setbacks, with the council blaming Cadent Gas, suppliers of the gas pipes for the project, for delaying the project in March by asking to move one of the pipes.

Karen Cassar, assistant director for highways at LCC, said the date allows for businesses to trade easier and locals to utilise the town more.

She said: “This was the best of all the options we looked at since it means businesses can trade and take deliveries freely throughout summer, while residents and visitors can get around town and park without having to worry about road works.

“Once the school holidays are over in September, we’ll head back to town with Cadent so they can finish diverting the gas main between Muirfield Drive and Brancaster Drive ahead of us completing our road and footway improvements from Muirfield Drive up to the junction with North Shore Road in spring 2022.”

A Lincoln man has helped save lives during the 2,000 medical emergencies he has attended in 10 years of working as a Community First Responder for the charity LIVES.

Bill Barber is a dedicated volunteer who has progressed to now being at Level 4. This means he can attend some of the most serious medical emergencies, including those involving children and infants.

The 60-year-old has always been interested in the medical world and, after his friend had two mini strokes on the same day in October 2010, it prompted him to start his career with LIVES. He qualified as a Community First Responder in January 2011.

It can be difficult for an ambulance to reach a patient quickly when they live in rural areas, like many Lincolnshire villages, which is why Bill continues to be part of LIVES.

He said: “To do 2,000 jobs for LIVES is a great honour and achievement. It is a great feeling to have had the opportunity to meet all of these people in their time of need.

“Along this journey, I have met so many fantastic pre-hospital colleagues, including our own LIVES medics and Community First Responders.

“I think the most rewarding aspect of being a responder is making a difference and being there for the people in your community in their time of need.

“Living in a more rural area, where ambulances can take longer to get to patients, a fast response by LIVES is vital. Minutes really do matter.”

Bill with his wife Jeni and granddaughter Brooke. | Photo: LIVES

Nikki Cooke, CEO at LIVES, said: “Bill is the ultimate LIVES responder. He’s someone who’s always there to help. We’ve received so many messages of praise and thanks for Bill from patients, families and colleagues that we’ve lost count!

“Bill has been there for so many people over the years and it is only right that we recognise this and the incredible achievement of attending 2,000 emergencies on behalf of LIVES. Thank you, Bill. We hope you’ll be responding for many more years.”

Bill receiving his Responder of the Year award from LIVES Medical Director, Dr Simon Topham, at the LIVES AGM in 2019.

LIVES turned 50 last year and continues to support its communities in Lincolnshire by responding to medical emergencies when a 999 call is made.

The charity relies on the support and generosity of the public and each year it needs to raise £1.4 million to ensure the Community First Responders and Medic Responders have the lifesaving training and equipment they need. They are taking donations online here.

+ More stories