October 26, 2010 3.58 pm This story is over 161 months old

House fire leads to cannabis arrest

Triple trouble: A fire on Carholme Road led to an uninhabitable room, traffic jams, and a cannabis-related arrest.

A ‘freak’ fire at a student house on Carholme Road broke out on Tuesday morning, causing traffic jams in the city, and leading to a cannabis-related arrest.

At 11.35am on October 26 Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue were called to the property, where three fire crews from Lincoln attended the scene.

While the fire was extinguished, Carholme Road was closed between the Grandstand and the junction with Brayford Way, causing traffic delays until 12.30pm.

Fire & Rescue say the fire was caused by an overheating electric cable leading to a cupboard lamp, and that the ground floor bedroom was damaged by the blaze.

Lincolnshire Police were also asked to attend the scene, to examine the cause of the fire, and confirmed the lamp, which was almost melted, as the cause of the fire.

Police also arrested a 24-year-old local man at the property on suspicion of cannabis possession and cultivation in the bedroom affected by the fire.

The man was taken immediately to the Lincoln Police Station, where he assisted officers with enquiries throughout the day.

The house affected by the incident is let by Franklin & Hall Properties, and owner Clive Franklin said the ‘freak accident’ left the bedroom uninhabitable.

He said the property will be fully refurbished over the next couple of days and tenants will be offered a spare room in the meantime.