Court

A 29-year-old man from Scunthorpe who was aggressive towards two paramedics and punched one of them, has been sentenced to a year in jail.

An ambulance was called to a children’s play area in Scunthorpe on Wednesday, August 12 after a group of concerned children spotted Luke Wilson, of West Street in Scunthorpe, lying down there.

Wilson became aggressive after the two paramedics arrived at the scene and helped him to get up onto his feet. The two emergency workers backed away from Wilson as he started to swing his arms towards them and shout abuse.

He also punched one of the paramedics in the wrist when they tried to use their radio to request back-up.

Wilson pleaded guilty to two counts of assault of an emergency worker at Grimsby Magistrates Court on October 8.

He also pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing a bladed article in a public area and he was also ordered to pay a £156 surcharge.

The East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) spoke publicly about the incident on October 22.

EMAS Paramedic Kevin Martin was responding with his colleague from Scunthorpe Ambulance Station.

He said: “When we arrived at the scene we could tell that the man was conscious and breathing but it looked like he was intoxicated so we proceeded with caution.

“I am glad that these young children who phoned for an ambulance had decided not to approach this man, as I dread to think how he would have behaved given the way he reacted to us.

“When we returned to the ambulance I pushed the ‘red button’ which sends out an alert to all my colleagues in the area that we were in distress and needed immediate help.

“We could not continue to respond to other patients who may have needed us while we were dealing with this patient’s violent behaviour and then because we needed to help the police with their enquiries.

“I have worked for the ambulance service for just under 30 years and this is the second time I have experienced a serious assault like this in only a matter of months.”

A few months prior to this incident another patient had pulled out a machete on Kevin and threatened him.

Kelvin Langford, Local Security Management Specialist at EMAS, said that assaults on their staff are “absolutely unacceptable” and EMAS “take a zero-tolerance approach towards anyone who verbally or physically assaults them”.

A former priest in Grimsby who denies sexually touching a number of boys will face trial in April next year.

Father Terry Atkinson, 68, was summoned to appear before Lincoln Magistrates Court last month accused of five offences of sexual assault, contrary to the Sexual Offences Act 1956.

The summons followed an investigation by Lincolnshire Police into alleged indecent assaults on boys.

Some of the offences are alleged to have occurred while he was involved with St Johns and St Stephens Church Centre, which is now known as the Shalom Youth Project, on Grimsby’s East Marsh estate.

It comes as part of a Lincolnshire Police investigation into historic sexual abuse cases within the Diocese of Lincoln known as Operation Redstone.

Atkinson, of Tetney Road, Humberston, was excused attending a plea and trial preparation hearing at Lincoln Crown Court on Thursday, October 22.

No pleas were put during the ten minute hearing but Atkinson denies all the allegations made against him.

Judge John Pini QC adjourned the case for a trial beginning at Lincoln Crown Court on April 26 next year.

It is estimated to last five to six days.

Operation Redstone

Three men were convicted – Roy Griffiths, John Bailey and Stephen Crabtree – for historical sexual offences against children and vulnerable people.

The trials highlighted a culture of coverups in the church.

Investigations found decades of allegations had been ignored by former Bishops of Lincoln.

Abuse cases were not referred to police until decades later, it was revealed in the Church of England Past Cases Review.

Victims also spoke out the first time in a BBC Panorama documentary.

A convicted Lincolnshire sex offender who continued to message underage girls after he was released from prison was sent back to jail for four years on Tuesday.

Andrew Martin Cook, now 54, was also given an extended licence sentence of three years on his release from prison after a judge concluded that he was “dangerous” and posed a significant risk to children.

Cook was originally sentenced to four and half years jail in November 2014 after he admitted having sex with an underage girl at an unoccupied property in Lincoln.

On that occasion Cook, then of Newark Road in the city, took the girl to the house where there was a mattress after picking her up from a park.

As part of the sentence Cook was made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order which prohibited him from having any unsupervised contact with girls under 16 for ten years.

Lincoln Crown Court heard Cook was released from prison but came to the attention of his risk management officer in February last year while he was living at an address on Britannia Terrace in Gainsborough.

Phil Howes, prosecuting, said his phone was analysed by police and found to contain over 4,000 indecent images of children.

They included 750 in the most serious category, including images of child rape, four prohibited images and one image of extreme pornography.

Cook was again questioned by police in February this year, while living at an address in Lincoln, after he was discovered to have communicated with three underage girls while he was aged between 51 and 53.

The court heard a second phone was seized from him and two of the girls were found to be aged twelve, with the other complainant aged 13.

Mr Howes said Cook asked one of the girls to send him an indecent photograph of herself.

In another comment Cook also asked one of the victims if he could feel under her clothes.

An exchange between Cook and one of the girls came to over 4,000 messages over 107 days.

Michael Cranmer-Brown, mitigating, told the court Cook did not meet up with any of his victims and had tried to seek help after being released from prison.

Cook pleaded guilty to twelve sexual offences including three offences of sexually communicating with a child, one charge of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, and possessing indecent child images, prohibited images and an extreme pornographic image.

Passing sentence Judge John Pini QC said it was clear Cook met the criteria for being dangerous and posed a significant risk to children.

The judge told Cook his exchanges with the girls were “disgusting and deeply perverted.”

Cook was also made the subject of a further ten year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

+ More stories