September 21, 2020 10.28 am This story is over 43 months old

Lincoln United FC women’s team progress after FA Cup win

They move into the next round

Away at Nottingham Trent University, the Whites did not know what to expect from their opposition.

Lincoln United started energized, hoping to exploit a mismatch they had down the left wing.

They found success early through Heather Pettit. A bouncing ball from a corner fell to her, allowing her to pass it into the bottom corner of the net.

Early on the Whites worked well as a team. A quality passing move led by Lauren Churcher ended with a penalty shout for Lincoln – the ref waved it off.

Shortly after, Katy Gilbert reacted late off her line, causing her to trip over a Nottingham Trent attacker. Nottingham called for a penalty, but the ref disagreed.

After winning another corner, a scrappy battle in the box found the ball sat on the line. Holly Newman got her toe to it, sending in Lincoln’s second goal of the game.

Holly Newman finds the net for Lincoln United. Photo: Lincs Photography

For a period of time, neither team created anything until Nottingham Trent won a corner.

A lucky deflection caused the ball to fall to the feet of Julia Kings. She fired the shot into the roof of the net, meaning Nottingham’s first real chance resulted in a goal.

A slow end to the first half saw neither team get a sniff of a chance.

Second Half

After a slow, lethargic start to the second half, Lincoln United were brought to life through several runs down the right by Millie Seaton.

She tapped the ball past her marker, beating her for pace round the outside. Seaton then lined up a cross, finding Newman and her header fizzled over the bar.

Seaton looked dangerous as she collected the ball on the right wing again. She attacked the Nottingham Trent defence, taking the ball past two defenders before passing it to Newman, whose shot was blocked.

Yet again Millie Seaton was found on the right side of the pitch. She took on her marker, who continued to struggle with containing her and put the ball in the box. Her cross travelled dangerously across the box, with no Lincoln players managing to get onto it.

Seaton played the ball into the substitute Kirsty Dalzell. She holds it up in the box and played it back to Seaton who shot first time, but her attempt went just over the bar.

Nottingham seemed to be unable to get into the White’s box, with Lincoln controlling the game.

After an incredible performance, Seaton was replaced by Lucy Farrow. Farrow instantaneously found herself through on the right wing. Darting into the box, with options across goal she fired away – forcing the keeper into a save with her feet.

The ball found the back of the Nottingham Trent goal again after a cross from the left wing struck a defender. Much to the players confusion, the referee disallowed the goal due to a push in defender’s back.

Lincoln United move forward to the next round of the FA Cup. Photo: Lincs Photography

A hungry Farrow found herself holding the ball up in the box. She turned her marker before shooting and once again forcing the keeper into a save.

Seconds after she collected the ball again, this time through a poor goal kick. She found herself through one-on-one and scraped the bar with her effort.

The game faded away towards the end, with the last chance going to Lauren Churcher. She was found over the top on the right wing, hitting it on a half volley. Her attempt travelled with pace towards the goal and caused the keeper to make an acrobatic save.

Through all their chances, Lincoln United could not find a goal to give them the space they needed. Fortunately, it was not needed and the whistle blew at 2-1.

Lincoln United find themselves into the next round of the FA Cup. They now wait for the draw, to see who they will be facing in the next round.

My Player of the Match: Millie Seaton

By Luther Odame