September 25, 2020 9.31 am This story is over 40 months old

Man jailed after Lincoln Central Market rampage

Police found blood at the scene

A burglar who rampaged through Lincoln Central Market and stole money and mobile phones has been jailed for a year.

Myles Horton, 22, of Monks Road in Lincoln was charged with four counts of burglary, theft and attempted burglary after the incident overnight on Monday/Tuesday, September 21 and 22.

The doors of the building were smashed to gain entry, with a section boarded off.

Police believed the burglar was injured after finding blood at the scene of the incident, which affected at least 15 businesses

Horton appeared at court by video link on Thursday, September 24 and asked for 12 other counts of burglary, all relating to the incident at the market, to be taken into consideration.

Part of the door had to be boarded up after a raid at Lincoln Central Market. Photo: The Lincolnite

Several tills were damaged, including this one from the Alter-It stall. Photo: The Lincolnite

Horton was sentenced to 52 weeks in prison.

The incident caused a lot of shock to the market traders, who came in on Tuesday morning to find blood stains, stock on the floor, tills badly damaged and money taken.

Debbie Swain, owner of Deb’s Diner, said: “There were specks of blood all over the floor and on the chiller doors. A knife was broken and there were blood stains, it was a big mess. The till was smashed up into pieces on the floor and around £15 was taken.

“We delayed trading until nearly lunchtime. It shook me up but we’ve (all the stall holders) stuck together. The security man Andy was amazing this morning as he was so concerned about everyone.”

Inspector Claire Hime said: “This was a particularly nasty incident that affected several businesses in one of Lincoln’s most popular areas.

“Our officers worked quickly to charge the suspect and bring him to justice. This result shows that we will take quick and effective action for incidents of this nature.”