Eastern Bypass future optimistic

Lincoln MP Karl McCartney and City and County Council officers met with Transport Minister Norman Baker to discuss the future of the city’s Eastern Bypass.

The Eastern Bypass scheme was pushed down on the Government’s list due to funding issues in October, three weeks after it was granted planning permission.

The project requires £130million of capital, and would link the current bypass at Wragby Road through to Sleaford Road on the South East of Lincoln.

After meeting with the Transport Minister on December 13, councils representatives and the city MP are optimistic about the future of the project.

“No item of transport improvements proposed for Lincoln was turned down at this meeting, in fact it was a useful and timely meeting with lots of positive discussions but obviously no promises, answers, or decisions,” said Karl McCartney.

City of Lincoln Council Deputy Leader Marc Jones said “The points we made were very well received and it was a great opportunity to put a personal aspect to the paperwork that we previously sent.”

Lincolnshire County Council’s Assistant Director for Highways Paul Coathup was also at the meeting with the Transport Minister.

He said: “What we have now really is the mind’s eye of the secretary of state. What we were doing was taking the opportunity to put the scheme right in the minister’s eyeline.”

Other Lincoln transport developments discussed at the meeting with the minster were the East-West link road, a park and ride scheme, and the city’s rail crossings.

Related Report: BBC Lincolnshire