Some 450 members of staff, including 80 new recruits, celebrated the opening of a new Tesco Extra superstore in Lincoln on May 15.
The new 80,000 sq ft Tesco Extra supermarket on Wragby Road replaces the old store which closed on Wednesday.
The old supermarket will be demolished and redeveloped into five retail units, two retail kiosks, a public piazza with sculptures designed by local schoolchildren, and an outdoor gym and children’s play area.
Besides everyday groceries, inside the new Tesco Extra you will also find:
- Fresh meat, fish, pizza and deli counters
- F&F clothing
- Opticians and pharmacy services
- Click and collect service with dedicated drive-through area
- A Connected Technology department for Tesco mobile and Tesco apps, tablets, smart phones and the latest consoles
- Dedicated community room with a kitchen will offer local groups and charities a free place to meet, host events and run workshops, health groups, training courses or fitness sessions
- A new Decks restaurant in store, which has created a further 35 jobs and offers classic British dishes seven days a week.
To declare the store officially open Store Manager David Waldron and a team of 25 colleagues, each with more than 25 years of service, cut the ribbon at the shop entrance.
A team of representatives from local charity St Barnabas Hospice also joined in the celebrations as the winners of the ‘Yours for a Year’ competition.
After a public vote the hospice was awarded with a retail unit in the new store worth £45,000 rent free for a year.
Phil Brandon, Commercial Manager for St Barnabas Lincolnshire Hospice, said: “We are absolutely delighted to have won the ‘Yours for a Year’ competition and would like to thank our supporters.
“The unit is worth a potential £50,000 in annual income which would allow us to care and support a greater number of people across Lincolnshire.”
Store Manager David Waldron said: “We have worked incredibly hard over the past few weeks and months to pull this store together to offer our customers and the city of Lincoln a new and exciting shopping experience.
“As a store we have a commitment to our local community and we are delighted to welcome many of the organisations we have been working with over the past few weeks to join in the celebrations with us.”