Lincolnshire firefighters warn parents of Halloween costume dangers

This story is over

Risks associated with non-flame-retardant children’s halloween costumes were highlighted by firefighters as they demonstrated on camera how easily they can catch alight.

With Halloween just around the corner, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue and Lincolnshire Trading Standards teamed up to warm parents about the dangers of children’ fancy dress costumes.

The awareness campaign was sparked by TV presenter Claudia Winkleman’s scare when her daughter was severely burnt when her outfit caught fire last year.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue and Trading Standards demonstrated the risks by setting costumes alight.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue and Trading Standards demonstrated the risks by setting costumes alight.

Steve Screaton, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Fancy-dress costumes often have trailing adornments such as capes, wings and tassels, which can catch fire if they come too close to a flame.

“Please supervise your children at all times and keep them away from lanterns, candles and tea-lights in pumpkins. If possible, try and use a torch or an LED light in your pumpkins.

“We don’t want to stop people enjoying Halloween, but we do want them to celebrate safely. There is nothing more terrifying than having a fire at home or seeing your clothes catch fire.”

Alexandra Connell, senior trading standards officer at Lincolnshire County Council, added: “Many parents aren’t aware that fancy dress costumes are classed as toys, which means that they can be tested to a lower flammability standard than other types of children’s clothing such as nightwear.

“Make sure they avoid flames, particularly when they are wearing their fancy dress costume, and know what to do should anything happen. Remember, Stop, drop and roll.”