Investigation launched after major disruption at Lincoln Prison

Investigations have begun after a disturbance at Lincoln Prison led to a day-long lockdown at the facility.

Lincolnshire Police and the Ministry of Justice have confirmed the situation has been resolved after the disruption at the prison for much of Thursday, September 15.

As reported previously, the alert involved one wing of the Category B men’s prison. Police officers and dog units were stationed around the perimeter of the prison.

Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite.

Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite.

Visitors were told entrances had been closed and a number of appointments had been cancelled.

Around five GeoAmey prison vehicles arrived at the scene in the afternoon, with eyewitnesses reporting that some prisoners may have been removed from the facility.

Prisoner transport vans have arrived on the scene outside the prison. Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

Prisoner transport vans have arrived on the scene outside the prison. Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

The Ministry of Justice refused to disclose further details about the nature of the incident when contacted several times by The Lincolnite.

Instead they said in a statement: “This incident has now been successfully resolved, with no injuries to staff or prisoners.”

Lincolnshire Police said officers were deployed in support of the National Offender Management Service.

A spokesperson from the force said: “We have agreed contingency plans for such events which were activated as a precaution.

“Once the nature of the incident became known, the deployment of officers was quickly scaled down.

“At no time was there any risk to the public and the incident was handled by the prison service.

“An investigation is now underway in relation to any criminal offences which have been disclosed.”