A Lincoln chippy has been placed in the top 10 for the best fish and chip shops in the UK.
Burton Road Chippy has been placed seventh in the latest UK top 10 fish and chip shops as part of the 2017 National Fish and Chip Awards organised by Seafish.
The 10 finalists are:
- Fochabers Fish Bar, Fochabers, Moray
- Hennighan’s Top Shop, Machynlleth, Powys
- The Dolphin Takeaway, Dungannon, County Tyrone
- Miller’s Fish and Chips, Haxby, North Yorkshire
- Hodgson’s Chippy, Prospect Street, Lancaster, Lancashire
- Oldswinford Fish & Chips, Dudley, Stourbridge, West Midlands
- Burton Road Chippy, Lincoln, Lincolnshire
- Henley’s of Wivenhoe, Wivenhoe, Essex
- Godfrey’s Fish and Chips, Harpenden, Hertfordshire
- Kingfisher Fish and Chips, Plympton, Devon
To get to this stage, contenders have had to face appraisal by industry experts across a variety of criteria including menu development and innovation, sustainable sourcing policies, staff training processes, and marketing and promotional activities.
They also received mystery shopping assessments, looking into customer service levels and the quality of fish and chips, along with in-depth judging audits to check criteria including ingredient storage and preparation processes, cleanliness and integrity of shop equipment and observation of cooking practices.
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, added: “The Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award is one of the highest honours a fish and chip business can receive.
“These 10 finalists are a credit to the industry and I commend them for reaching this stage of the competition.”
The overall national winner will be announced at an awards ceremony on January 26, 2017.