Are you happy with Lincolnshire County Council’s decision to switch off 42,000 of the county’s streetlights?
The council wants to hear the views and the experiences of the public as part of a formal review.
Residents, businesses and organisations are being asked to complete a questionnaire on the impact of the part-night blackout programme, which was rolled out to save £1.7 million a year from the £5 million street lighting budget.
This means that they are switched off between midnight (and as early as 10pm in some areas) until dawn.
It isn’t likely that the council will backtrack on the scheme completely. Council Leader Martin Hill previously told reporters: “They’ll be no chance that all those street lights we’ve switched off will come back on again.”
The council is now carrying out a formal review into the impact of part-night lighting, looking at topics including:
- The environment
- Road collisions
- Crime rates
- Fears about safety and crime
- Emergency services
- Health and public health services
- The impact on businesses and the night time economy
John Monk, group manager – design services at the county council, said: “Part-night lighting has been in place for some months now, and we’ve seen no evidence to suggest that the changes have had a negative impact on people’s safety.
“A panel of councillors is now carrying out a formal review, and over the next few months they will be collecting evidence and speaking to relevant organisations to gauge the impact of the changes.
“There is also an opportunity for the public to have their say by completing a short questionnaire.
“All feedback received will be taken into consideration when the panel decides its recommendations for the executive.
“However, while this may include amendments to the policy, the available budget would not allow for a wholesale reversal of the changes.”
People can also have their say by calling 01522 782070.
All responses must be received by 5pm on Friday, January 5.