April 8, 2018 5.03 pm This story is over 41 months old

Whitehouse takes Lincoln City to victory in Wembley final

Victory for the Imps.

Elliott Whitehouse was the hero as underdogs Lincoln City lifted the Checkatrade Trophy with a 1-0 victory over Shrewsbury in their first trip to Wembley in 133 years.

Shrewsbury goalkeeper Dean Henderson spilt a shot from a corner and the midfielder was on hand to score a tap in from close range after 16 minutes to send the up to 30,000 travelling Imps fans into raptures.

Lincoln, who are sixth in League Two, went into the cup clash as underdogs against their League One opponents but ended their Checkatrade Trophy campaign in style with much-deserved silverware.

The Imps didn’t have it all their own way though and could have been a man and a goal down inside the opening 10 minutes.

Shrewsbury’s Bryn Morris saw his volley hit the top of the crossbar early on before Lincoln striker Matt Rhead received a yellow card for his foul on Henderson.

Some sections of the crowd felt it should have been a red card as Rhead appeared to lead with his elbow as he clattered into Henderson.

Danny Cowley’s men weathered the storm and took the lead through Whitehouse.

Both sides missed chances in the first half, with Shrewsbury’s best moment coming shortly after 32 minutes.  Lincoln goalkeeper Ryan Allsop, on loan from Bournemouth, produced a superb save to keep out Omar Beckles’ header before James Bolton hit a post from the rebound.

Lincoln could have doubled their lead soon after when Rhead’s flick set up Matt Green, but Henderson did just about enough to scramble the ball way as the Imps took a 1-0 lead into the break.

Shrewsbury started the second half strongly, but Morris shot high and wide before Jon Nolan’s effort was deflected wide for a corner.

Lincoln should have put the result beyond doubt on the hour mark, but Rhead somehow sent a shot over the crossbar from Whitehouse’s great assist.

Shrewsbury continued to pose an attacking threat as Beckles and Morris both missed chances, while the Lincoln defence was excellent with players throwing their bodies on the line to preserve the lead.

It was a tense final quarter of the game for Lincoln, but the mighty Imps held on for victory.

Lincoln will return to League Two action and continue their push for promotion with a trip to Port Vale on Saturday, April 14.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.