August 25, 2020 12.08 pm This story is over 45 months old

Man jailed for eight years after Boston stabbing

The victim’s intestines were hanging out

By Local Democracy Reporter

A Bulgarian man who stabbed another man in the stomach during a street fight in Boston has been jailed for eight years.

Police were called to the disturbance involving up to ten men in Tunnard Street shortly after midnight on Sunday, November 17, 2019.

Lincoln Crown Court heard officers found a 24-year-old man with a serious stab wound to his abdomen and his intestines hanging out.

The man was taken to Boston Pilgrim Hospital by ambulance where it was discovered he had suffered multiple stab wounds.

The victim spent six days in hospital and underwent an operation to remove his appendix and part of his small bowel.

Gurdial Singh, prosecuting, said several witnesses saw the fight and Eduard Atanansov, 27, was seen “slashing” out with a knife.

Mr Singh told the court Atanansov was visiting a friend and became involved in a dispute with another Lithuanian household.

The court heard Atanansov only armed himself with a knife after he was struck over the head with either a pipe or piece of wood, and thought his attackers were also armed with a knife.

Mr Singh said a neighbour saw Atanansov slashing out with a knife with a blade estimated between 15 to 20 cms long.

“The defendant was throwing his arms around and the victim suddenly felt a massive pain in his stomach,” Mr Singh added.

“He looked down, saw his intestines hanging out, and lots of blood.

“He was shocked and terrified, and ran back in to his house.

“There was an attempt to take him to hospital in a car, but police arrived and he was taken to hospital by ambulance.”

As well as the wound to his stomach, the man was found to have stab injuries to his right shoulder, left upper thigh, right cheek and left hand.

Atanansov was arrested after he also attended hospital but made no comment during police interview.

Neil Sands, mitigating, said Atanansov had no previous convictions in the UK and only armed himself after he was injured by a group he thought were carrying weapons.

“From there it spiralled out of control,” Mr Sands told the court

Atanansov, of Tunnard Street, Boston, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and possession of a bladed article on 17 November, 2019.

Passing sentence Judge John Pini QC told him it could have easily ended in a fatal stabbing.

The judge said: “You armed yourself with a potentially lethal weapon and used it deliberately.”