June 14, 2010 9.49 am This story is over 165 months old

RAF bike for hospital foetal monitor

Ride of a lifetime: A local RAF base have raised a substanial amount of money towards a foetal monitor for the maternity wing.

Future labour patients in Bardney Ward at Lincoln County Hospital will soon be able to give birth in a more comfortable environment.

RAF Cranwell Non-Commissioned Aircrew Course 243 of A Squardon strapped on their trainers and biked their way toward a foetal monitor.

The monitor can reduce contraction pain, reduce the equipment surrounding the mother during birth and record heart rate, contractions and uterine activity.

“We chose to donate to the labour ward because three of us have had children in the last four months and co-organiser James Thompson’s wife, Diane Thompson, is a midwife on Bardney Ward,” said Dave Brown, the event organizer.

13 participants used static bikes to complete a 1010 mile journey over June 5th and 6th. In total the bikers raised over £2,000 pounds over the course of two days and roughly over £1,200 with sponsorship and auction held previously.

Bardney Ward will receive 80 percent of the money earned and the other 20 percent will go to RAF church St Clement Danes in London and RAFA base Rothbury House.

“On behalf of Bardney Ward, I extend my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to the Non Commissioned Aircrew Course 243 of A Squadron, for the time and effort they spent participating in this endurance event,” said Katie Lascelles, ward manager.

Source, Photo: NHS Lincolnshire