July 26, 2010 10.23 am This story is over 164 months old

20 arrested in Imps v Celtic mayhem

Night of mayhem: As the Imps lost 4-1 to Celtic, fans of the two teams clashed across Lincoln, leading to 20 arrests.

The Lincoln City vs Celtic football match on Saturday, July 24, led to 20 arrests, out of which 12 were locals, as thousands of fans descended upon the city to watch the game, where the Imps lost 4-1. Of the 20 people arrested, four were charged with public order offences, whilst the remainder were released on police bail.

A large number of Celtic fans arrived in the city before the match, and police say there were several problems in locations across the city, including Golden Cross on the High Street, where a smoke grenade was discharged. There was also an assault at the Community Day, where two Celtic supporters were fighting each other, and a fight in the away section within the ground.

Flares and smoke canisters were discharged in the Sincil Bank stadium during the match. One girl in the away section was injured by a flare. Further problems followed outside the Golden Cross, where five of the arrests were made. Two of those arrested were away supporters and they were charged with public order offences.

The High Street witnessed a number of fights after the Celtic won 4-1 against the Imps, as rival supporters clashed. Further arrests were made on the High Street in the vicinity of The Millers Arms and Ritz Phase. Five people where taken to hospital including the girl injured by the flare, and all were released after treatment.

The four people arrested and charged with public order offences were Stuart Stanley (32), from Calderbrace Avenue, Glasgow, Adam Pollock (24), from Blackstone Crescent, Glasgow, Jason Dumphreys (40), from Witham St Hughs, Lincoln, and Benjamin Mole (24), from Eastgate, Bassingham.

Stanley and Pollock were remanded in police custody and will appear at the Lincoln Magistrates Court on Monday, July 26. Dumphreys and Mole were bailed and to appear in court on the same day.

Source: Lincolnshire Police | Photo: ImageShack