April 5, 2011 12.41 pm This story is over 155 months old

Man commits suicide after murdering girlfriend in North Hykeham [U1]

Inquest: Police find bodies of man who murdered his girlfriend and then took his life in North Hikeham.

— Later update: Police are now in a position to release the names of the woman and the man who were found deceased at a house in Tiber Road, North Hykeham on Sunday, April 3.

They were 21-year-old Katy Winchester, who was studying at Manchester Metropolitan University and originally from the Sleaford area, and 26-year-old Kurt Tyrell, from Tiber Road, North Hykeham.

Post mortem results indicate Katy Winchester died of compression of the neck and Kurt Tyrell from ligature strangulation.

Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.

Post mortems on the bodies found at a home in Tiber Road, North Hykeham, indicate a 26-year-old man took his own life after murdering his 21-year-old girlfriend.

Lincolnshire Police are investigating the case after the bodies of the man and woman were found in a house in North Hykeham on Sunday, April 3.

Post mortem examinations were carried out on Monday by a Home Office-approved pathologist.

Senior Investigating Officer (SIO) Detective Superintendent Guy Collings said:

“The initial conclusions of the Home Office Pathologist indicate that the 21-year-old woman was murdered by the 26-year-old man who then took his own life.

“The investigation is continuing and we are still speaking to neighbours, associates, families and friends of the deceased couple.

“Subsequently a file will be prepared for the local HM Coroner. An inquest into the deaths will be held in due course.

“[…] I will not be able to release the names of the two deceased persons until later. The couple are both from Lincolnshire.

“I would like to thank the residents of the estate where this tragedy took place for their patience when experiencing a good deal of inconvenience caused by the road closures and the cordons which we had to implement whilst carrying out our initial investigation.”

Source: Lincolnshire Police