March 14, 2012 10.39 am This story is over 121 months old

Fire strikes same house twice in one night

Blaze: A house on the Ermine was struck by two unrelated fires in one night causing severe damage and leaving one person with slight burns.

A property and several vehicles are left severely damaged after an electrical short circuit caused a caravan to catch fire and a gas leak caused a second, unrelated fire in the same night.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue crews attended two fires at the same house within minutes of each other, at Greyling Close on the Ermine on in the early hours of Wednesday, March 14.

The initial incident was reported at 3:26am involving a caravan, four cars and an outbuilding, with three fire crews attending.

An electrical short circuit in the caravan caused the fire which ignited its gas cylinder and then several close-by free standing gas cylinders.

The caravan, two cars and the outbuilding were left severely damaged by fire and the remaining two vehicles suffered medium damage.

The fire and rescue team fought both blazes throughout the night from 3:46am until 8:48am.

The first fire was extinguished at 5:47am but minutes later, fire and rescue services were called back to the scene after a gas explosion inside the property.

In an unconnected incident, an underground gas leak into the house caused an explosion when the electrics were turned on or off.

One person suffered slight burns and was taken to hospital by an ambulance and the second fire was extinguished by 8:48am.

Photos: Karen Burton