A new 46-space car park from the City of Lincoln Council is now open on Sincil Street.
The car park was formally opened on September 13 by Patrick Vaughan, the Mayor of Lincoln, and Ursula Lidbetter, Chief Executive of Lincolnshire Co-operative.
The pay and display car park is based on Lincolnshire Co-op’s Oxford Hall site, previously the Grand Hotel, which was demolished earlier this year.
The site is subject to the same parking tariffs and discounts as the council’s other car parks, including the 25% discounts for people who use the PayByPhone service on Mondays.
The council hopes this will help the issues caused by the delayed completion of Lucy Tower Car Park, which is not expected to open until February 2014.
Ursula Lidbetter, Lincolnshire Co-op Chief Executive, said: “Very near to this site was our very first shop in 1861, which was one room of a house called One Napoleon Place.
“This was pulled down when Pelham Bridge was built, so this site has a lot of significance for us now.
Co-op purchased the land of Oxford Hall some year ago in anticipation of its Lindongate scheme, which will redevelop the entire Sincil Street and bus station area.
The City of Lincoln Council has leased the land from Co-op for the next three years only.
Patrick Vaughan, the Mayor of Lincoln, added: “You can’t go [to park] closer to the city centre than this; with 46 spaces for shoppers and because of our problems with Lucy Tower, it’s going to help us.”