Lithuanian man sentenced to life in jail for “savage” murder in Lincolnshire

This story is over

A land worker found guilty of a “brutal, sustained and savage attack” which left his victim with more than 30 broken bones has been sentenced to life in prison for murder.

Lithuanian Audrius Zauka brutally beat 53-year-old car wash worker Sigitas Kirkickas to death moments after his victim called at his home in Boston.

In total Mr Kirkickas had more than 80 freshly inflicted injuries including brain damage.

Zauka, 41, of Ingelow Avenue, Boston, denied murder but was found guilty by a jury at Lincoln Crown Court on an 11-1 majority.

He has been ordered to serve a minimum of 16 years in jail.

Judge Michael Heath, passing sentence, told him: “You inflicted upon him a brutal, sustained and savage attack. Very severe force would have been required to cause all of the injuries.

“The pathologist said it would have taken half an hour or so to die, you took no steps to help him in anyway and you made it clear in a threatening manner that all those present should say nothing about what happened.

“The harmless intoxicated victim was effectively defenceless.”

William Harbage QC, prosecuting, told the jury: “This was a sustained attack on Sigitas using severe force.

“This was a brutal killing. Mr Kirkickas was kicked, stamped on and beaten to death. He was given a right good kicking.
“He received significant head injuries. There was traumatic injury to the brain.

“He also received multiple injuries to his body including extensive bruising and abrasions.

“He suffered a fracture of a bone in the throat, two fractures of his breastbone and no fewer than 28 fractures of his ribs. Some of his ribs were broken in two places.

“Severe force would be required to cause all of those fractures. He also received lacerations of the liver and kidneys and bruising of the lungs.”

A pathologist told the jury the injuries were similar to Mr Kirkickas being run over by a car.

The jury was told that Zauka, a widower whose wife passed away just two days before the fatal incident, was angry at Mr Kirkickas after his fellow Lithuanian used his garden as a toilet moments before knocking on the front door.

After the killing Zauka went into hiding and was only found six days later at another address in Boston. During that time he confessed to a female friend and his daughter in Lithuania.

Zauka denied murder on October 23, 2015. He did not give evidence but through his barrister said he was not responsible for the murder and instead accused a couple who lived with him.

Nick Bleaney, in mitigation, said the trigger for Zauka’s actions was the sudden death of his partner two days before which left him bereft. “The bottom had dropped out of his life in a wholly unexpected and total way.”

DCI Martin Holvey, who led the murder investigation, said: “Zauka’s actions following the attack necessitated huge resources being deployed to Lincolnshire from the East Midlands region to locate and arrest him six days later.

“During this time, we were greatly assisted by the public in Boston and I thank them for their help.

“It demonstrates the importance of close liaison between police and the community in order to bring offenders to justice.

“Mr Kirkickas leaves behind a mother, daughter and sister in Lithuania and we have been in regular contact with them to support them throughout this difficult time.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.