Lincoln Castle has been declared a top visitor attraction by VisitEngland, gaining a prestigious Gold Accolade.
The castle scored highly in a number of categories including visitor experience, facilities, service and staff to achieve the ultimate Gold Accolade. The honour is given to the top 10% of attractions in VisitEngland’s Visitor Attraction Quality Scheme.
Councillor Nick Worth, executive councillor for heritage at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “Another accolade for Lincoln Castle! I know staff are especially proud of this one.
“The Victorian Prison, Medieval Wall Walk and Magna Carta make for a fascinating day out. Staff and volunteers do a great job of bringing it all to life in a visitor experience to remember.
“Many of them were mentioned individually by name in the report for their personable, friendly and knowledgeable interactions with visitors, so I’m overjoyed for them.”
VisitEngland made the following comments in the report:
- The unique combination of three very different principle attractions within the castle makes for a historically fascinating day out.
- Staff and volunteer interactions were of a very high standard throughout the visit, reflecting the quality of training and leadership, and the commitment to visitor enjoyment that runs through the entire site.
- The approach to the castle from any angle is impressive and at the East Gate there were clear welcome signs and event boards.
- The ticketing choices were very clear, the very good free map was given out and used to explain the options and the castle layout.
- The gift shop contains an impressive range of products that reflect the remarkable span of the castle’s history.
- The standard of cleanliness throughout the site was very good.