Man who set fire to cell at Morton Hall immigration centre jailed for four years

This story is over

A resident who started a fire in his cell at a Lincolnshire immigration centre has been jailed for four years.

Patrick Kiyama, 27, used matches to light his pillow and bedding at the Morton Hall immigration centre.

Lincoln Crown Court heard Kiyama had been sentenced to 13 months imprisonment for a street robbery in Milton Keynes and was frustrated that he had not yet been deported to his native Congo.

A jury found Kiyama, of no fixed address, guilty of arson being reckless as to endanger life and a second charge of simple arson after he also set fire to a bin.

The court heard Kiyama purchased some matches and threatened to set fire to the centre after falling out with a prison officer.

Jon Dee, prosecuting, said: “There were two separate fires, the first in his cell which was the most potentially dangerous and a second outside the front door of another unit.

“There was inconvenience caused, people were moved, although only one cell was put out of action.”

Over £2,300 damage was caused.

Kiyama, who represented himself in court, told a doctor that he had taken the high “black mamba” and had an argument with a prison officer.

When asked by the judge if he had anything to say in his defence Kiyama replied: “I have got nothing to say,” adding “I have forgotten everything.”

The court heard 320 residents were at Morton Hall when the two fires were set on July 23 and a further 25 staff.

Passing sentence Judge Simon Hirst told Kiyama there was no alternative to a suitable prison sentence.

Judge Hirst said: “You were frustrated with what you perceived was the slow pace of your return to the Congo.

“You told two prison officers that you were going to set fire to the centre.

“You went and purchased some matches and set fire to flammable items in your pillow.

“You then left, locked the door and went to another unit where you set fire to the bin and contents.

“Morton Hall at that time had 320 residents, and 25 to 30 staff were present. Fortunately the fire you set did not get out of control.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.